Nonstationarity in real exchange rates using unit root tests with a level shift at unknown time
AbstractThe empirical literature that tests for purchasing power parity (PPP) by focusing on the stationarity of real exchange rates has so far provided, at best, mixed results. This paper contributes to this discussion by providing new evidence on the stationarity of bilateral real exchange rates, after allowing for regime changes. We test for a unit root in real exchange rates by allowing for a level shift in the DGP. In doing so, we use the unit root tests proposed by Saikkonen and Lütkepohl [Saikkonen, P. and Lütkepohl, H., 2002, Testing for a unit root in a time series with a level shift at unknown time, Econometric Theory 18, 313-348] and Lanne et al. [Lanne, M., Lütkepohl, H., and Saikkonen, P., 2002, Comparison of unit root tests for time series with level shifts, Journal of Time Series Analysis 23, 667-685], which are based on estimating the deterministic term first by a GLS procedure under the unit root null hypothesis and subtracting it from the original series. We subject the series to three level shifts, namely: a shift dummy, an exponential shift and a rational shift. Our results confirm the nonstationarity of real exchange rate series in the presence of structural breaks during the post-Bretton Woods era. Thus, the real exchange rate behavior may not be so different after all but simply perceived to be so because of the use of previously restrictive unit root tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996.
"Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688 Elsevier.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1999.
"Testing for a unit root in a time series with a level shift at unknown time,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,72, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut, 2002. "Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Level Shift At Unknown Time," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 313-348, April.
- Helmut Luetkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen, 2000. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Level Shift at Unknown Time," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0342, Econometric Society.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 2001. "Long memory and nonlinear mean reversion in Japanese yen-based real exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Apostolos Serletis & Periklis Gogas, 2000. "Purchasing power parity, nonlinearity and chaos," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 615-622.
- Lanne, Markku & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2001.
"Test procedures for unit roots in time series with level shifts at unknown time,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,39, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Markku Lanne & Helmut Lutkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen, 2003. "Test Procedures for Unit Roots in Time Series with Level Shifts at Unknown Time," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(1), pages 91-115, February.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2001.
"Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in the post-Bretton Woods era,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & John Barkoulas, 1998. "Nonlinear Adjustment to Purchasing Power Parity in the post-Bretton Woods Era," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 404., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 16 Nov 1999.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean,"
347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 1998. "Parity reversion in real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 597-614, August.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Peel, David & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Towards a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P & Peel, David A & Sarno, Lucio, 2001. "Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Toward a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1015-42, November.
- Olekalns, Nilss & Wilkins, Nigel, 1998. "Re-examining the Evidence for Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(224), pages 54-61, March.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2000. "Mean reversion in the real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 285-288, December.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Kassimatis, Yiannis, 1994. "Does the real exchange rate follow a random walk? The Pacific Basin perspective," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 476-495, August.
- Luis Gil-Alana, 2002. "Real exchange rates: evidence from black markets using fractionally integrated semiparametric techniques," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(12), pages 787-790.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Zimonopoulos, Grigorios, 1997. "Breaking Trend Functions in Real Exchange Rates: Evidence from Seventeen OECD Countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 781-802, October.
- Michael Dueker & Apostolos Serletis, 2000. "Do real exchange rates have autoregressive unit roots? a test under the alternative of long memory and breaks," Working Papers 2000-016, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Henry, Olan T. & Olekalns, Nilss, 2002. "Does the Australian dollar real exchange rate display mean reversion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 651-666, October.
- Frederico Valladares & Cristina Terra, 2004.
"Real Exchange Rate Misalignments,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
191, Econometric Society.
- Cristina Terra, Frederico Valladares, 2009. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments," THEMA Working Papers 2009-03, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Terra, Maria Cristina T. & Valladares, Frederico Estrella Carneiro, 2003. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 493, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Antonio E. Noriega & Daniel Ventosa-Santaulària, 2010. "Spurious Long-Horizon Regression in Econometrics," Working Papers 2010-06, Banco de México.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.