Purchasing power parity, nonlinearity and chaos
AbstractThis study contrasts the (apparent) random walk behaviour of the real exchange rate to chaotic dynamics, using (US) dollar-based real exchange rates for 17 OECD countries (covering the period 1957:1-1995:4). Tests for deterministic noisy chaos are carried out using the Nychka, Ellner, Gallant and McCaffrey (1992) test for positivity of the maximum Lyapunov exponent. There is evidence of nonlinear chaotic dynamics in seven real exchange rate series, suggesting that real exchange rate movements might not be really random.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ata Assaf, 2004. "Rescaled variance analysis of real exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 303-306.
- Yevheniya Hyrina & Apostolos Serletis, 2010. "Purchasing power parity over a century," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 117-144, January.
- Webel, Karsten, 2012. "Chaos in German stock returns — New evidence from the 0–1 test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 487-489.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2003:i:2:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Musselwhite, Gary & Herath, Gamini, 2007. "Chaos theory and assessment of forest stakeholder attitudes towards Australian forest policy," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(8), pages 947-964, May.
- Airaudo, Marco & Zanna, Luis-Felipe, 2012. "Interest rate rules, endogenous cycles, and chaotic dynamics in open economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1566-1584.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Gogas, Periklis, 2004. "Long-horizon regression tests of the theory of purchasing power parity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1961-1985, August.
- Mark Holmes & Ping Wang, 2006. "Asymmetric adjustment towards long-run PPP: Some new evidence for Asian economies," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 161-177.
- Shu-Chen Chang, 2008. "Asymmetric cointegration relationship among Asian exchange rates," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 125-141, June.
- Luis-Felipe Zanna & Marco Airaudo, 2012. "Interest Rate Rules, Endogenous Cycles, and Chaotic Dynamics in Open Economies," IMF Working Papers 12/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Ahmed Asseery, 2005. "Evidence of non-linearities in the bilateral real exchange rates of the British pound," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 63-90.
- Ata Assaf, 2006. "Nonlinear Trend Stationarity in Real Exchange Rates: Evidence from Nonlinear ADF tests," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 7(2), pages 283-294, November.
- Chang, Tsangyao & Tzeng, Han-Wen, 2011. "Long-run purchasing power parity with asymmetric adjustment: Further evidence from nine transition countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1383-1391, May.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Maghrebi, Nabil, 2004. "Asian real interest rates, nonlinear dynamics, and international parity," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 387-405.
- Assaf, Ata, 2008. "Nonstationarity in real exchange rates using unit root tests with a level shift at unknown time," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 269-278.
- Tsangyao Chang & Hsu-Ling Chang & Hsiao-Ping Chu & Chi-Wei Su, 2006. "Does PPP hold in African countries? Further evidence based on a highly dynamic non-linear (logistic) unit root test," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2453-2459.
- Philip Shively, 2003. "Threshold stationary real exchange rates: a nonlinear, multivariate approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(2), pages 1-11.
- Mark J.Holmes, 2002. "Are there non linearities in US: Latin American real exchange behavior," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 29(2 Year 20), pages 177-190, December.
- Yang-Cheng Lu & Chang, Tsangyao & Chin-Ping Yu, 2011. "Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity with Asymmetric Adjustment: Evidence from Mainland China and Taiwan," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 59-70, September.
- Tsangyao Chang & Wen-Chi Liu, 2010. "Long-run purchasing power parity with asymmetric adjustment: evidence from nine major oil-exporting countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 263-274.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.