Scope and patterns of innovation cooperation in Spanish service enterprises
AbstractExamining 2148 innovating service firms from the Spanish Technological Innovation Panel 2004, this paper utilizes Latent Class Analysis to appraise the scope of innovation cooperation in services in the Spanish economy, in accordance with the growing weight of external information flows throughout innovation processes. The empirical evidence indicates that the nature of the service activity affects both the partner chosen and the cooperation intensity. The results lead to the creation of a typology of cooperation composed of three broad profiles: service firms intensive in techno-scientific cooperation, intensive in interactions with clients and a profile with low intensity in cooperation, called lonely innovators. The probability that a firm belongs to the latter profile is 59%, which makes it reasonable to affirm that innovation cooperation is not a common practice in Spanish innovating service enterprises. Innovation output variables have been included in order to examine the relationship between patterns of cooperation and innovation performance. The findings also underline the co-existence of different cooperation patterns within the same industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 41 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Cooperation; Innovation; Patterns of innovation; Service sector; Source of information;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O39 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Other
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sundbo, Jon & Orfila-Sintes, Francina & Sorensen, Flemming, 2007. "The innovative behaviour of tourism firms--Comparative studies of Denmark and Spain," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 88-106, February.
- Drejer, Ina, 2004. "Identifying innovation in surveys of services: a Schumpeterian perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 551-562, April.
- Aija Leiponen, 2005. "Organization of Knowledge and Innovation: The Case of Finnish Business Services," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 185-203.
- Kaufmann, Alexander & Tödtling, Franz, 2000.
"Science-Industry Interaction In The Process Of Innovation - The Importance Of Boundary-Crossing Between Systems,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p428, European Regional Science Association.
- Kaufmann, Alexander & Todtling, Franz, 2001. "Science-industry interaction in the process of innovation: the importance of boundary-crossing between systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 791-804, May.
- Michael Peneder, 2010.
"Technological Regimes and the Variety of Innovation Behaviour. Creating Integrated Taxonomies of Firms and Sectors,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peneder, Michael, 2010. "Technological regimes and the variety of innovation behaviour: Creating integrated taxonomies of firms and sectors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, April.
- Tether, Bruce S. & Tajar, Abdelouahid, 2008. "The organisational-cooperation mode of innovation and its prominence amongst European service firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 720-739, May.
- Mark Freel, 2006. "Patterns of Technological Innovation in Knowledge-Intensive Business Services," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 335-358.
- de Vries, Erik J., 2006. "Innovation in services in networks of organizations and in the distribution of services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1037-1051, September.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 978-994, July.
- Fulvio, Castellacci, 2007. "Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation," MPRA Paper 26408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leiponen, Aija & Drejer, Ina, 2007. "What exactly are technological regimes?: Intra-industry heterogeneity in the organization of innovation activities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1221-1238, October.
- Esther Gordo & Javier Jareño & Alberto Urtasun, 2006. "Radiografía del sector servicios en España," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0607, Banco de Espa�a.
- Freeman, Chris, 1994. "The Economics of Technical Change," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(5), pages 463-514, October.
- Gallouj, Faiz, 2002. "Innovation in services and the attendant old and new myths," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 137-154.
- Leon A.G. Oerlemans & Marius T.H. Meeus & Frans W.M. Boekema, 1998. "Do Networks Matter for Innovation? The usefulness of the economic network approach in analysing innovation," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 89(3), pages 298-309, 08.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Rinaldo Evangelista, 2000. "Sectoral Patterns Of Technological Change In Services," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 183-222.
- Rod Coombs & Mark Harvey & Bruce S. Tether, 2003. "Analysing distributed processes of provision and innovation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(6), pages 1125-1155, December.
- Erik Baark, 2005. "New Modes of Learning in Services: A Study of Hong Kong's Consulting Engineers," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 283-301.
- de Jong, Jeroen P.J. & Marsili, Orietta, 2006. "The fruit flies of innovations: A taxonomy of innovative small firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 213-229, March.
- Jaider Vega-Jurado & Antonio Gutiérrez-Gracia & Ignacio Fernández-de-Lucio, 2009. "Does external knowledge sourcing matter for innovation? Evidence from the Spanish manufacturing industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 637-670, August.
- Hipp, Christiane & Grupp, Hariolf, 2005. "Innovation in the service sector: The demand for service-specific innovation measurement concepts and typologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 517-535, May.
- Bruce Tether, 2005. "Do Services Innovate (Differently)? Insights from the European Innobarometer Survey," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 153-184.
- Najda-Janoszka, Marta & Kopera, Sebastian, 2013. "Exploring Barriers to Innovation in Tourism Industry – The Case of Southern Region of Poland," MPRA Paper 53980, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Najda-Janoszka, Marta, 2013. "Innovative Activity of Small Tourist Enterprises – Cooperation with Local Institutional Partners," MPRA Paper 52991, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthijs Janssen & Carolina Castaldi & Alexander Alexiev, 2014. "Dynamic capabilities for service innovation: conceptualization and measurement," Working Papers 14-07, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Mar 2014.
- Edwards-Schachter, Mónica & Anlló, Guillermo & Castro-Martínez, Elena & Sánchez-Barrioluengo, Mabel & Fernández De Lucio, Ignacio, 2012. "Motives for inter-firm cooperation on R&D and innovation: empirical evidence from Argentine and Spain," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201204, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 04 Jun 2012.
- Lilian Santos & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2013. "Determinants of innovation performance of Portuguese companies: an econometric analysis by type of innovation and sector with a particular focus on Services," FEP Working Papers 494, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.