Patterns of Technological Innovation in Knowledge-Intensive Business Services
AbstractEmploying data from a sample of 1,161 small firms, the paper draws broad comparisons between patterns of innovation expenditure and output, innovation networking, knowledge intensity and competition within Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (KIBS; N = 563) and manufacturing firms (N = 598). In so doing, KIBS are further disaggregated along lines proposed by Miles et al. (1995). That is, as technology-based KIBS (t-KIBS; N = 264) and professional KIBS (p-KIBS; N = 299). However, detailing such broad patterns is preliminary. The principal interest of the paper is in identifying the factors associated with higher levels of innovativeness, within each sector, and the extent to which such “success” factors vary across sectors. The results of the analysis appear to offer support for some widely held beliefs about the relative roles of “softer” and “harder” sources of knowledge and technology within services and manufacturing (Tether, 2004). However, some important qualifications are also apparent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Industry and Innovation.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIAI20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Fassio, Claudio, 2014.
"Globalization and The Knowledge Driven Economy,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
201407, University of Turin.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Fassio, Claudio, 2014. "Globalization and The Knowledge Driven Economy," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers, University of Turin 201418, University of Turin.
- Mercedes Teruel & AgustÃƒÂ Segarra, 2011. "Productivity and R&D sources in manufacturing and service firms in Catalonia: a regional approach," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1860, European Regional Science Association.
- Davide Consoli & Dioni Elche, 2013. "The evolving knowledge base of professional service sectors," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 477-501, April.
- Trigo, Alexandre & Vence, Xavier, 2012. "Scope and patterns of innovation cooperation in Spanish service enterprises," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 602-613.
- Silva, Maria & Leitão, João & Raposo, Mário, 2007. "Barriers to Innovation faced by Manufacturing Firms in Portugal: How to overcome it?," MPRA Paper 5408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Consoli, Davide & Elche-Hortelano, Dioni, 2010. "Variety in the knowledge base of Knowledge Intensive Business Services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1303-1310, December.
- Maja Savic & Helen Lawton Smith & Ioannis Bournakis, 2014. "The effect of external knowledge sources and their geography on innovation in Knowledge Intensive Business Services (KIBS) SMEs; some Implications for de-industrialised regions in the UK," Working Papers 18, Birkbeck Centre for Innovation Management Research, revised Aug 2014.
- Gotsch, Matthias & Hipp, Christiane & Gallego, J. & Rubalcaba, L., 2011. "Sectoral innovation performance in the knowledge intensive services," Working Paper Series 11, Brandenburg University of Technology (BTU Cottbus), Chair of Organization, Human Resource & General Management.
- Malgorzata Zieba, 2013. "Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (Kibs) And Their Role In The Knowledge-Based Economy," GUT FME Working Paper Series A, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology 7, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology.
- Carolina Castaldi & Jan Faber & Maikel Kishna, 2010. "Co-innovation by KIBS in Environmental Services: A Resource-based View," Working Papers, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies 10-05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Mar 2010.
- Doloreux, David & Zenker, Andrea & Muller, Emmanuel, 2008. "Services à forte intensité de connaissances, contexte régional et comportements d'innovation: une comparaison internationale," Working Papers "Firms and Region" R1/2008, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Halldin, TorbjÃ¶rn, 2012. "Born global firms in knowledge intensive business services (KIBS) â€“ what do we know of their performance?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies 270, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.