Tourism and the environment
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of pollution taxes on welfare and environment for a small open economy. In the presence of tourism, pollution taxes provide a double dividend of less pollution and improvements in the tourism terms of trade. The optimal pollution taxes are derived under exogenous and endogenous tourism, and they can be greater or less than the marginal damage of pollution perceived by the domestic residents. Numerical simulations show that the optimal tax rate is larger under exogenous tourism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Resource and Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505569
Endogenous tourism optimal pollution taxes;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Batra, Raveendra N, 1973. "Nontraded Goods, Factor Market Distortions, and the Gains from Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 706-13, September.
- Dei, Fumio, 1985. "Voluntary export restraints and foreign investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 305-312, November.
- Jones, Ronald W., 1996. "International trade, real wages, and technical progress: The specific-factors model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 113-124.
- Copeland, Brian R, 1991. "Tourism, Welfare and De-industrialization in a Small Open Economy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(232), pages 515-29, November.
- Philippe Michel & Gilles Rotillon, 1995. "Disutility of pollution and endogenous growth," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(3), pages 279-300, October.
- Schou, Poul, 2002. " When Environmental Policy Is Superfluous: Growth and Polluting Resources," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 605-20, December.
- Batra, Raveendra N, 1984. "Non-traded Goods and the Metzler-Paradox: A Comment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 763-67, October.
- Yu, Eden S. H. & Ingene, Charles A., 1982. "The backward incidence of pollution control in a rigid-wage economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 304-310, December.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 1998. "Lectures on International Trade, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522470, January.
- Antoci, Angelo & Galeotti, Marcello & Russu, Paolo, 2005. "Consumption of private goods as substitutes for environmental goods in an economic growth model," MPRA Paper 13664, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2003.
"Trade, Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
9823, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2002.
"Can cross-border pollution reduce pollution?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 805-818, November.
- Jones, Ronald W., 2003. "Joint outputs and real wage rates," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 513-516.
- Yohe, Gary W., 1979. "The backward incidence of pollution control--some comparative statics in general equilibrium," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 187-198, September.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Laffargue, Jean-Pierre & Sgro, Pasquale M., 2012. "Environmental control, wage inequality and national welfare in a tourism economy," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 201-207.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.