Pricing and investment of cross-border transport infrastructure
AbstractWe develop a simple two-country model of international trade in which the transportation cost between countries is endogenously determined by pricing and investment decisions of cross-border transport infrastructure. We evaluate alternative regimes of pricing and investment, i.e., free access (e.g., public road), pricing by two governments, and private operation. We also examine the effect of integrating operation. It is shown that investment rule in free access regime is inefficient. On the other hand, the investment rule is efficient if infrastructure charge is levied either by the government or by the private operators. We obtain the welfare ranking of alternative regimes under specific functional form, show how the welfare results depend on pricing policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec
Infrastructure Transportation Trade Pricing Capacity choice;
Other versions of this item:
- Se-il Mun & Shintaro Nakagawa, 2008. "Pricing and investment of cross-border transport infrastructure," KIER Working Papers 661, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- R42 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2007.
"Second-best road pricing through highway franchising,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 337-361, September.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2005. "Second-best Road Pricing Through Highway Franchising," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-082/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- De Borger Bruno & Dunkerley Fay & Proost Stef, 2006.
"Strategic investment and pricing decisions in a congested transport corridor,"
Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series
ete0602, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- De Borger, B. & Dunkerley, F. & Proost, S., 2007. "Strategic investment and pricing decisions in a congested transport corridor," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 294-316, September.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & DUNKERLEY, Fay & PROOST, Stef, 2006. "Strategic investment and pricing decisions in a congested transport corridor," Working Papers 2006021, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- ANDERSON, P. & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"The CES and the logit.Two related models of heterogeneity,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-785, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1988. "The CES and the logit : Two related models of heterogeneity," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 155-164, February.
- David Levinson, 2000. "Revenue Choice on a Serial Network," Working Papers 200001, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Demetriades, Panicos O. & Morgenroth, Edgar L. W., 1999.
"Infrastructure, transport costs and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 169-189, February.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos Demetriades & Edgar Morgenroth, 1996. "Infrastructure, Transport Costs and Trade," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/7, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Barry Ubbels & Erik Verhoef, 2006.
"Governmental Competition in Road Charging and Capacity Choice,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-036/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 10 Sep 2007.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008. "Governmental competition in road charging and capacity choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 174-190, March.
- AndrÊ de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 2000. "Private toll roads: Competition under various ownership regimes," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 13-35.
- Eric W. Bond, 2006. "Transportation Infrastructure Investments And Trade Liberalization," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(4), pages 483-500.
- Se-il Mun & Shintaro Nakagawa, 2008. "Cross-border transport infrastructure and aid policies," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 465-486, June.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- Yang, Hai & Meng, Qiang, 2000. "Highway pricing and capacity choice in a road network under a build-operate-transfer scheme," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 207-222, April.
- De Borger, Bruno & Proost, Stef, 2012.
"Transport policy competition between governments: A selective survey of the literature,"
Economics of Transportation,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 35-48.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & PROOST, Stef, 2012. "Transport policy competition between governments: A selective survey of the literature," Working Papers 2012014, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.