Individual teacher incentives and student performance
AbstractThis paper is the first to systematically document the relationship between individual teacher performance incentives and student achievement using United States data. We combine data from the National Education Longitudinal Survey on schools, students, and their families with our own survey conducted in 2000 regarding the use of teacher incentives. This survey on teacher incentives has unique data on frequency and magnitude of merit raises and bonuses, teacher evaluation, and teacher termination. We find that test scores are higher in schools that offer individual financial incentives for good performance. Moreover, the estimated relationship between the presence of merit pay in teacher compensation and student test scores is strongest in schools that may have the least parental oversight. The association between teacher incentives and student performance could be due to better schools adopting teacher incentives or to teacher incentives eliciting more effort from teachers; it is impossible to rule out the former explanation with our cross sectional data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Other versions of this item:
- David N. Figlio & Lawrence Kenny, 2006. "Individual Teacher Incentives And Student Performance," NBER Working Papers 12627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Glewwe & Nauman Ilias & Michael Kremer, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
9671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall W. Eberts & Kevin Hollenbeck & Joe A. Stone, .
"Teacher Performance Incentives and Student Outcomes,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
rwekhjs2002, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Randall Eberts & Kevin Hollenbeck & Joe Stone, 2002. "Teacher Performance Incentives and Student Outcomes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(4), pages 913-927.
- Randall Eberts & Kevin Hollenbeck & Joe Stone, 2000. "Teacher Performance Incentives and Student Outcomes," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 00-65, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Victor Lavy, 2002. "Evaluating the Effect of Teachers' Group Performance Incentives on Pupil Achievement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(6), pages 1286-1317, December.
- Ballou, Dale, 2001. "Pay for performance in public and private schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 51-61, February.
- Ladd, Helen F., 1996.
"The Dallas School Accountability and Incentive Program: An Evaluation of Its Impacts on Student Outcomes,"
96-18, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ladd, Helen F., 1999. "The Dallas school accountability and incentive program: an evaluation of its impacts on student outcomes," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Woessmann, Ludger, 2011.
"Cross-country evidence on teacher performance pay,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 404-418, June.
- Ludger Woessmann, 2010. "Cross-Country Evidence on Teacher Performance Pay," CESifo Working Paper Series 3151, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2011. "Cross-country evidence on teacher performance pay," Munich Reprints in Economics 19679, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Woessmann, Ludger, 2010. "Cross-Country Evidence on Teacher Performance Pay," IZA Discussion Papers 5101, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonah E. Rockoff, 2008. "Does Mentoring Reduce Turnover and Improve Skills of New Employees? Evidence from Teachers in New York City," NBER Working Papers 13868, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graves, Jennifer, 2010. "The academic impact of multi-track year-round school calendars: A response to school overcrowding," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 378-391, May.
- Scott E. Carrell & James E. West, 2008.
"Does Professor Quality Matter? Evidence from Random Assignment of Students to Professors,"
NBER Working Papers
14081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott E. Carrell & James E. West, 2010. "Does Professor Quality Matter? Evidence from Random Assignment of Students to Professors," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(3), pages 409-432, 06.
- Figlio, David N. & Kenny, Lawrence W., 2009. "Public sector performance measurement and stakeholder support," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(9-10), pages 1069-1077, October.
- Singh, Prakarsh, 2011. "Performance Pay and Information: Reducing Child Malnutrition in Urban Slums," MPRA Paper 29403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Goldhaber, Dan & Walch, Joe, 2012. "Strategic pay reform: A student outcomes-based evaluation of Denver's ProComp teacher pay initiative," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1067-1083.
- Muralidharan, Karthik & Sundararaman, Venkatesh, 2011. "Teacher opinions on performance pay: Evidence from India," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 394-403, June.
- Jones, Michael D., 2013. "Teacher behavior under performance pay incentives," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 148-164.
- Jones, Michael D., 2012. "Teacher Behavior under Performance Pay Incentives," MPRA Paper 43892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christoph Helbach, 2012. "The Interplay of Standardized Tests and Incentives – An Econometric Analysis with Data from PISA 2000 and PISA 2009," Ruhr Economic Papers 0356, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Felipe Barrera-Osorio & Dario Maldonado & Catherine Rodríguez, 2012.
"Calidad de la educación básica y media en Colombia: diagnóstico y propuestas,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
010078, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Felipe Barrera-Osorio & Darío Maldonado & Catherine Rodríguez, 2012. "Calidad de la Educación Básica y Media en Colombia: Diagnóstico y Propuestas," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 010321, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.