Explaining the competitive advantage of logistics service providers: A resource-based view approach
AbstractThis article identifies strategic logistics resources acquired and bundled by logistics service providers (LSPs) to achieve competitive advantage. Based on a theoretical framework derived from the resource-based view (RBV) theory, contents of a database of company profiles of 15 selected LSPs are analysed. Results show that all LSPs have been acquiring physical, human, information, knowledge and relational resources and then bundling them together in various specific manners to create inimitable and firm-specific capabilities. However, only some of them performed well financially. The findings contribute to the conceptualisation and measurement of strategic logistics resources and the identification of resource bundling processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 128 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Logistics service providers Third-party logistics Logistics outsourcing Resource-based view Competitive advantage;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bienstock, Carol C. & Royne, Marla B. & Sherrell, Dan & Stafford, Thomas F., 2008. "An expanded model of logistics service quality: Incorporating logistics information technology," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 205-222, May.
- BÃ¼yÃ¼kÃ¶zkan, GÃ¼lÃ§in & Feyzioglu, Orhan & Nebol, Erdal, 2008. "Selection of the strategic alliance partner in logistics value chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 148-158, May.
- Rubin, Paul H, 1973. "The Expansion of Firms," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 936-49, July-Aug..
- Pasukeviciute, Irma & Roe, Michael, 2005. "Strategic policy and the logistics of crude oil transit in Lithuania," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 857-866, May.
- Kahn, Kenneth B. & Mentzer, John T., 1998. "Marketing's Integration with Other Departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 53-62, May.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Toy, Neal, 2000. "Identifying influential attributes in freight route/mode choice decisions: a content analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 41-53, March.
- Photis M Panayides & Meko So, 2005. "The Impact of Integrated Logistics Relationships on Third-Party Logistics Service Quality and Performance," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(1), pages 36-55, March.
- Ramanathan, Ramakrishnan & Ramanathan, Usha & Hsiao, Hsieh-Ling, 2012. "The impact of e-commerce on Taiwanese SMEs: Marketing and operations effects," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 934-943.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Sutter, Reto, 2012. "A qualitative investigation of innovation between third-â€party logistics providers and customers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 944-958.
- Schoenherr, Tobias, 2012. "The role of environmental management in sustainable business development: A multi-country investigation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 116-128.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.