Floating exchange rates, expectations and new information
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relationship between forward exchange rates,future spot rates and new information. A stochastic model of exchangerate determination is used to formally show how unanticipated changes in the exchange rate determinants (or "news") affect the spot rate. The empirical analysis indicates that "new information" plays an important role in explaining the market forecasting error, or difference between the spot rate and the forward rate, determined in the previous period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1983)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505566
Other versions of this item:
- Sebastian Edwards, 1983. "Floating Exchange Rates, Expectations and New Information," NBER Working Papers 1064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bilson, John F O, 1981.
"The "Speculative Efficiency" Hypothesis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 435-51, July.
- Barro, Robert J, 1978. "A Stochastic Equilibrium Model of an Open Economy under Flexible Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 149-64, February.
- Frenkel, Jacob A. & Razin, Assaf, 1980. "Stochastic prices and tests of efficiency of foreign exchange markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 165-170.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976.
" The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 255-75.
- R. Dornbusch, 1975. "The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy," Working papers 165, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Roll, Richard & Solnik, Bruno, 1979. "On some parity conditions encountered frequently in international economics," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 267-283.
- Richard Meese & Kenneth Rogoff, 1981. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies: are any fit to survive?," International Finance Discussion Papers 184, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Maurice Obstfeld & Robert E. Cumby & John Huizinga, 1983.
"Two-Step Two-Stage Least Squares Estimation in Models with Rational Expectations,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cumby, Robert E. & Huizinga, John & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1983. "Two-step two-stage least squares estimation in models with rational expectations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 333-355, April.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Michael L. Mussa, 1980. "Efficiency of Foreign Exchange Markets and Measures of Turbulence," NBER Working Papers 0476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A, 1976. " A Monetary Approach to the Exchange Rate: Doctrinal Aspects and Empirical Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 200-224.
- Levi, Maurice D, 1977. "Taxation and "Abnormal" International Capital Flows," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 635-46, June.
- Driskill, Robert, 1981. "Exchange rate overshooting, the trade balance, and rational expectations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 361-377, August.
- Frenkel, Jacob A. & Aizenman, Joshua, 1982.
"Aspects of the optimal management of exchange rates,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 231-256, November.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Joshua Aizenman, 1983. "Aspects of the Optimal Management of Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 0748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darby, Michael R, 1975. "The Financial and Tax Effects of Monetary Policy on Interest Rates," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(2), pages 266-76, June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Dooley, Michael P & Isard, Peter, 1980. "Capital Controls, Political Risk, and Deviations from Interest-Rate Parity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 370-84, April.
- Mussa, Michael, 1976. " The Exchange Rate, the Balance of Payments and Monetary and Fiscal Policy under a Regime of Controlled Floating," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 229-48.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Mussa, Michael L, 1980. "The Efficiency of Foreign Exchange Markets and Measures of Turbulence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 374-81, May.
- Saidi, Nasser H, 1980. "Fluctuating Exchange Rates and the International Transmission of Economic Disturbances," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(4), pages 575-91, November.
- Boyer, Russell S, 1978. "Optimal Foreign Exchange Market Intervention," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1045-55, December.
- Hans Genberg, 1981. "Effects of Central Bank Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market (Effets de l'intervention de la banque centrale dans les marchÃ©s des changes) (Efectos de la intervenciÃ³n de los bancos centra," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(3), pages 451-476, September.
- Aliber, Robert Z, 1973. "The Interest Rate Parity Theorem: A Reinterpretation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(6), pages 1451-59, Nov.-Dec..
- Sebastián Edwards, 1983. "La Relación entre las Tasas de Interés y el Tipo de Cambio Bajo un Sistema de Cambio Flotante," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 20(59), pages 65-74.
- Cavaglia, Stefano M. F. G. & Wolff, Christian C. P., 1996. "A note on the determinants of unexpected exchange rate movements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 179-188, January.
- Gregory P. Hopper, 1997. "What determines the exchange rate: economic factors or market sentiment?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Sep, pages 17-29.
- C. Ennew, & N. Kellard, & P. Newbold, A. J. Rayner & M. E. Wohar,, .
"Two Puzzles in the Analysis of Foreign Exchange Market Efficiency,"
96/18, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Newbold, Paul & Wohar, Mark E. & Rayner, Tony & Kellard, Neil & Ennew, Christine, 1998. "Two puzzles in the analysis of foreign exchange market efficiency," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 95-111.
- Kevin Ross, 1991. "Contemporaneous Reserve Accounting, M1 Announcements and Exchange Rate Movements," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 177-187, Apr-Jun.
- Luintel, K. B. & Paudyal, K., 1998. "Common stochastic trends between forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 279-297, April.
- Robert Amano & Paul Fenton & David Tessier & Simon van Norden, 1996. "The credibility of monetary policy: a survey of the literature with some simple applications to Caanda," Meeting papers 9610001, EconWPA.
- W A Razzak, 1998. "The forward rate unbiasedness hypothesis in inflation-targeting regimes," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G99/3, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, revised Aug 1999.
- Tanner, Glenn, 1997. "A note on economic news and intraday exchange rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 573-585, April.
- Luis Felipe Lagos & Rodrigo Cerda, 2006. "Tipo de Cambio Nominal en un Régimen de Flotación: Chile 2000-2005," Documentos de Trabajo 313, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Guneratne Banda Wickremasinghe, 2004. "Efficiency of the Foreign Exchange Market of Papua New Guinea During the Recent Float," International Trade 0406007, EconWPA.
- Takatoshi Ito & V. Vance Roley, 1986.
"News from the U. S. and Japan: Which Moves the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate?,"
NBER Working Papers
1853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Roley, V. Vance, 1987. "News from the U.S. and Japan : Which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 255-277, March.
- Takatoshi Ito & V. Vance Roley, 1986. "News from the U.S. and Japan: which moves the yen/dollar exchange rate?," Research Working Paper 86-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.