Outcomes of bargaining and planning in single facility location problems
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate a model where, on a tree network, players collectively choose the location of a single public facility by noncooperative alternating-offer bargaining with the unanimity rule. We show the existence of a stationary subgame perfect equilibrium and the characterization of stationary subgame perfect equilibria. We also show that the equilibrium location converges to the Rawls location (the Rawlsian social welfare maximizer) as the discount factor tends to 1; however, it does not relate to the Weber location (the Benthamite social welfare maximizer).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 59 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Tree network Location of public facility Unanimity rule Bargaining Rawls location;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000387, David K. Levine.
- Hansen, Pierre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1981. "Outcomes of voting and planning : Condorcet, Weber and Rawls locations," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, August.
- Bandelt, Hans-Jurgen, 1985. "Networks with condorcet solutions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 314-326, June.
- Labbe, Martine, 1985. "Outcomes of voting and planning in single facility location problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 299-313, June.
- Cardona, Daniel & Ponsati, Clara, 2007. "Bargaining one-dimensional social choices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 627-651, November.
- Yamaguchi, Kazuo, 2011. "Location of an undesirable facility on a network: A bargaining approach," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 104-108, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.