Existence of Nash equilibria in large games
AbstractPodczeck [Podczeck, K., 1997. Markets with infinitely many commodities and a continuum of agents with non-convex preferences. Economic Theory 9, 385-426] provided a mathematical formulation of the notion of "many economic agents of almost every type" and utilized this formulation as a sufficient condition for the existence of Walras equilibria in an exchange economy with a continuum of agents and an infinite dimensional commodity space. The primary objective of this article is to demonstrate that a variant of Podczeck's condition provides a sufficient condition for the existence of pure-strategy Nash equilibria in a large non-anonymous game G when defined on an atomless probability space not necessary rich, and equipped with a common uncountable compact metric space of actions A. We also investigate to see whether the condition can be applied as well to the broader context of Bayesian equilibria and prove an analogue of Yannelis's results [Yannelis, N.C., in press. Debreu's social equilibrium theorem with asymmetric information and a continuum of agents. Economic Theory] on Debreu's social equilibrium theorem with asymmetric information and a continuum of agents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Large non-anonymous game Pure-strategy Nash equilibrium Large anonymous game Cornot-Nash equilibrium distribution Loeb space Rich probability space Bayesian games;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Cornet & Mihaela Topuzu, 2005.
"Existence of equilibria for economies with externalities and a measure space of consumers,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 397-421, 08.
- Bernard Cornet & Mihaela Topuzu, 2005. "Existence Of Equilibria For Economies With Externalities And A Measure Space Of Consumers," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200505, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2005.
- Hart, Sergiu & Hildenbrand, Werner & Kohlberg, Elon, 1974.
"On equilibrium allocations as distributions on the commodity space,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 159-166, August.
- HART, Sergiu & HILDENBRAND, Werner & KOHLBERG, Elon, . "On equilibrium allocations as distributions on the commodity space," CORE Discussion Papers RP -183, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- M Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 2002.
"Non-Cooperative Games with Many Players,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
482, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Khan, M. Ali & Sun, Yeneng, 2002. "Non-cooperative games with many players," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 1761-1808 Elsevier.
- Khan, A. & Sun, Y., 2000. "Non-Cooperative Games with Many Players," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 2000.80, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- M Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 1996. "Non-Cooperative Games with Many Players," Economics Working Paper Archive 382, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1984. "On a theorem of Schmeidler," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 201-206, December.
- Balder, Erik J., 2008. "More on equilibria in competitive markets with externalities and a continuum of agents," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 575-602, July.
- Zame, William R. & Noguchi, Mitsunori, 2006. "Competitive markets with externalities," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 1(2), pages 143-166, June.
- Khan, M. Ali & Sun, Yeneng, 1999. "Non-cooperative games on hyperfinite Loeb spaces1," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 455-492, May.
- Konard Podczeck, 1997. "Markets with infinitely many commodities and a continuum of agents with non-convex preferences (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 385-426.
- Khan, M. Ali & Yeneng, Sun, 1995. "Pure strategies in games with private information," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 633-653.
- Balder, Erik J & Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1993. "On the Continuity of Expected Utility," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 625-43, October.
- Podczeck, Konrad, 2008. "On the convexity and compactness of the integral of a Banach space valued correspondence," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 836-852, July.
- Sun, Yeneng & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 2008. "Saturation and the integration of Banach valued correspondences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 861-865, July.
- Noguchi, Mitsunori, 2010. "Large but finite games with asymmetric information," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 191-213, March.
- Wang, Jianwei & Zhang, Yongchao, 2010.
"Purification, Saturation and the Exact Law of Large Numbers,"
22119, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jianwei Wang & Yongchao Zhang, 2012. "Purification, saturation and the exact law of large numbers," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 527-545, August.
- Khan, M. Ali & Rath, Kali P. & Yu, Haomiao & Zhang, Yongchao, 2013.
"Large distributional games with traits,"
Elsevier, vol. 118(3), pages 502-505.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.