Existence Of Equilibria For Economies With Externalities And A Measure Space Of Consumers
AbstractThis paper considers an exchange economy with a measure space of agents and consumption externalities, which take into account two possible external e ects in consumers¡¯ preferences: the dependence upon prices and other agents¡¯ consumptions, respectively, as in Greenberg et al.  and Khan and Vohra  (see also Balder  for a general discussion). This allows to cover a general model of reference coalitions externalities, in which the agents¡¯ preferences are influenced by the global (or the mean) consumption of the agents in the finitely many reference coalitions. Our paper provides a general existence theorem of equilibria that extends previous results by Schmeidler , in the case of fixed reference coalitions and Noguchi , for a more particular concept of reference coalitions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Kansas, Department of Economics in its series WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS with number 200505.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision: Feb 2005
Externalities; Reference coalitions; Measure space of agents; Equilibrium.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bernard Cornet & Mihaela Topuzu, 2005. "Existence of equilibria for economies with externalities and a measure space of consumers," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 397-421, 08.
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-03-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2005-03-06 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2005-03-06 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balder, Erik J., 2000. "Incompatibility of Usual Conditions for Equilibrium Existence in Continuum Economies without Ordered Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 110-117, July.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975.
"Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Schmeidler, David, 1969. "Competitive Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders and Incomplete Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 578-85, October.
- Khan, M. Ali & Vohra, Rajiv, 1984. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences and with a measure space of agents," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 133-142, October.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1970. "Existence of Equilibria for Economies with Production and a Measure Space of Consumers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(5), pages 608-23, September.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Shitovitz, Benyamin & Wieczorek, Andrzej, 1979. "Existence of equilibria in atomless production economies with price dependent preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 31-41, March.
- Noguchi, Mitsunori, 2006. "Mean consumption representation of consumption externalities," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 301-310, May.
- Balder, Erik J., 2008. "More on equilibria in competitive markets with externalities and a continuum of agents," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 575-602, July.
- Nicholas Yannelis, 2009. "Debreu’s social equilibrium theorem with asymmetric information and a continuum of agents," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 419-432, February.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Elena L. Del Mercato, 2008.
"Externalities, consumption constraints and regular economies,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Elena Mercato, 2010. "Externalities, consumption constraints and regular economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 123-147, July.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Elena L. del Mercato, 2008. "Externalities, Consumption Constraints and Regular Economies," CSEF Working Papers 195, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Dec 2009.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Elena L. Del Mercato, 2008. "Externalities, consumption constraints and regular economies," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08011, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne, revised Apr 2009.
- M Ali Khan, 2007. "Perfect Competition," Microeconomics Working Papers 22207, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Noguchi, Mitsunori, 2009. "Price-dependent consumption externalities and non-existence of equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3-4), pages 205-211, March.
- Sebastián Cea-Echenique & Carlos Hervés-Beloso & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2012. "Endogenous Information: The Role of Sequential Trade and Financial Participation," Working Papers wp361, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Correia-da-Silva, João & Hervés-Beloso, Carlos, 2008.
"Subjective expectations equilibrium in economies with uncertain delivery,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 641-650, July.
- Joao Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2005. "Subjective Expectations Equilibrium in Economies with Uncertain Delivery," FEP Working Papers 190, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Kung, Fan-chin, 2008. "Voluntary contributions to multiple public goods in a production economy with widespread externalities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(12), pages 1364-1378, December.
- Khan, M. Ali Khan, 2007. "Perfect Competition," MPRA Paper 2202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Noguchi, Mitsunori, 2009. "Existence of Nash equilibria in large games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 168-184, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jianbo Zhang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.