Asian monetary integration: a structural VAR approach
AbstractThis paper examines whether forming an optimum currency area (OCA) is viable for the East Asian region by testing the symmetry of underlying structural shocks. A structural vector autoregression (VAR) method is used to identify the underlying shocks and to examine the correlation in shocks for specified sample periods. Decomposition of the variance of shocks and impulse response analysis are used to examine the size and the speed of adjustments to shocks. The results imply that some sub-regions are potential candidates for forming OCAs, as their shocks are correlated and small, and the economies adjust rapidly to such shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM).
Volume (Year): 64 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/mathematics-and-computers-in-simulation/
Optimum currency area; Vector autoregressions; Exchange rate; East Asian region;
Other versions of this item:
- Zhaoyong Zhang & Kiyotaka Sato & Michael McAleer, 2003. "Asian Monetary Integration: A Structural VAR Approach," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-212, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Demertzis & Andrew Hallett & Ole Rummel, 2000. "Is the European union a natural currency area, or is it held together by policy makers?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(4), pages 657-679, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "BQDODRAWS: RATS procedure to implement Monte Carlo draws from a VAR with Blanchard-Quah factorization," Statistical Software Components RTS00030, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Blanchard and Quah AER 1989," Statistical Software Components RTZ00017, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1999. "Capital market integration in the Pacific Basin region: an impulse response analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 267-287, February.
- Bayoumi, T. & Eichengreen, B., 1994. "One Money or Many? Analysing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World," Princeton Studies in International Economics 76, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- John Hawkins & Paul Masson, 2003. "Economic aspects of regional currency areas and the use of foreign currencies," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Regional currency areas and the use of foreign currencies, volume 17, pages 4-42 Bank for International Settlements.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2005.
"ASEAN Monetary Cooperation : Issues and Prospects,"
Finance Working Papers
22028, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Albert Mafusire & Zuzana Brixiova, 2012.
"Working Paper 156 - Macroeconomic Shock Synchronization in the East African Community,"
Working Paper Series
432, African Development Bank.
- Albert Mafusire & Zuzana Brixiova, 2012. "Working Paper 156 - Macroeconomic Shock Synchronization in the East African Community," Working Paper Series 409, African Development Bank.
- Mafusire Albert & Brixiova Zuzana, 2013.
"Macroeconomic Shock Synchronization in the East African Community,"
Global Economy Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(2), pages 261-280, July.
- Albert Mafusire & Zuzana Brixiova, 2012. "Macroeconomic Shock Synchronization in the East African Community," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1031, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Huh , Hyeon-seung & Park, Cyn-Young, 2013. "Examining the Determinants of Food Prices in Developing Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 370, Asian Development Bank.
- de Truchis, Gilles & Keddad, Benjamin, 2013.
"Southeast Asian monetary integration: New evidences from fractional cointegration of real exchange rates,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 394-412.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1039, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gilles De Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers halshs-00793503, HAL.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," AMSE Working Papers 1229, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 05 Nov 2012.
- Buigut, Steven K. & Valev, Neven T., 2005.
"Is the proposed East African Monetary Union an optimal currency area? a structural vector autoregression analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2119-2133, December.
- Steven K. Buigut & Neven Valev, 2004. "Is the Proposed East African Monetary Union an Optimal Currency Area? A Structural Vector Autoregression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0407, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Reza Moosavi Mohseni & M. Azali, 2014. "Monetary Integration and Optimum Currency Area in ASEAN+3: What We Need for a New Framework?," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(2), pages 277-285.
- Foresti, Pasquale, 2007. "Is Latin America an Optimal Currency Area? Evidence from a Structural Vector Auto-regression analysis," MPRA Paper 2961, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.