Dynamic pricing and revenue management process in Internet retailing under uncertainty: An integrated real options approach
AbstractCompetition and demand volatility often cause modern enterprises to be confronted by uncertain environments. When a firm manages revenue in such competitive and risky environments, the optimization of pricing and capacity allocation, subject to a fixed time and capacity, becomes a complicated problem. Many previous papers concerning revenue management (RM) and pricing require that the firm possesses the ability to know the demand curve (or demand distribution) and set prices on it to maximize profits. However, this assumption may not be the case in some industries. Therefore, this paper focuses on the dynamic lead indicators rather than assumptive lag indicators to establish a concise and flexible decision model for practical use. This paper provides an integrated real options (IRO) approach with analytic hierarchy process (AHP) for the auction RM problem under competitive/dynamic pricing and revenue uncertainty in Internet retailing. A numerical example is also presented to illustrate that the IRO approach can generate better decisions than the naIÂ¨ve (or risk unawareness) approach in revenue quality of safety and profitability. The new perspective and approach proposed by this paper can be extended to other RM fields whenever both profitability and risk are critical to decision making.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swan, William M., 2002. "Airline demand distributions: passenger revenue management and spill," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 253-263, May.
- Kalyan Raman & Rabikar Chatterjee, 1995. "Optimal Monopolist Pricing Under Demand Uncertainty in Dynamic Markets," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 144-162, January.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989. "Hysteresis, Import Penetration, and Exchange Rate Pass-Through," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 205-28, May.
- Dentskevich, P & Salkin, G, 1991. "Valuation of real projects using option pricing techniques," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 207-222.
- Clark, Ephraim & Easaw, Joshy Z., 2007. "Optimal access pricing for natural monopoly networks when costs are sunk and revenues are uncertain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 595-602, April.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Dixit, A., 1988. "Entry And Exit Decisions Under Uncertainty," Papers, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center 91, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Forbes, William, 2006. "The boys in the bubble: Internet entrepreneurs and stock market value," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 439-447, October.
- Schniederjans, Marc J. & Garvin, Tim, 1997. "Using the analytic hierarchy process and multi-objective programming for the selection of cost drivers in activity-based costing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 72-80, July.
- Bodily, S. E. & Weatherford, L. R., 1995. "Perishable-asset revenue management: Generic and multiple-price yield management with diversion," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 173-185, April.
- Dye, Chung-Yuan, 2007. "Joint pricing and ordering policy for a deteriorating inventory with partial backlogging," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 184-189, April.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2007. "Revenue management for remanufactured products," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 553-562, October.
- Yao, Dong-Qing & Liu, John J., 2005. "Competitive pricing of mixed retail and e-tail distribution channels," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Gabriel Bitran & RenÃ© Caldentey, 2003. "An Overview of Pricing Models for Revenue Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 5(3), pages 203-229, August.
- Martzoukos, Spiros H. & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2013.
"Real option games with R&D and learning spillovers,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 236-249.
- Martzoukos, Spiros H & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2008. "Real Option Games with R&D and Learning Spillovers," MPRA Paper 12686, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rana, Rupal & Oliveira, Fernando S., 2014. "Real-time dynamic pricing in a non-stationary environment using model-free reinforcement learning," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 116-126.
- Zhao, Li & Tian, Peng & Xiangyong Li, 2012. "Dynamic pricing in the presence of consumer inertia," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 137-148, April.
- Adkins, Roger & Paxson, Dean, 2013. "Deterministic models for premature and postponed replacement," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1008-1019.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Chow, Pui-Sze & Xiao, Tiaojun, 2012. "Electronic price-testing scheme for fashion retailing with information updating," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 396-406.
- Papier, Felix & Thonemann, Ulrich W., 2011. "Capacity rationing in rental systems with two customer classes and batch arrivals," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 73-85, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.