An Overview of Pricing Models for Revenue Management
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the research and results of dynamic pricing policies and their relation to revenue management. The survey is based on a generic revenue management problem in which a perishable and nonrenewable set of resources satisfy stochastic price sensitive demand processes over a finite period of time. In this class of problems, the owner (or the seller) of these resources uses them to produce and offer a menu of final products to the end customers. Within this context, we formulate the stochastic control problem of capacity that the seller faces: How to dynamically set the menu and the quantity of products and their corresponding prices to maximize the total revenue over the selling horizon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
Volume (Year): 5 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Revenue Management; Dynamic Pricing;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2003.
"Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multi-Product Revenue Management Problems,"
MRG/0002, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Nov 2005.
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multiproduct Revenue Management Problems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 136-148, July.
- Alex Gershkov & Benny Moldovanu, 2009. "Dynamic Revenue Maximization with Heterogeneous Objects: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 168-98, August.
- Cao, Ping & Li, Jianbin & Yan, Hong, 2012. "Optimal dynamic pricing of inventories with stochastic demand and discounted criterion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 580-588.
- Christou, Charalambos & Kotseva, Rossitsa & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2007. "Pricing, Investments and Mergers with Intertemporal Capacity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 6433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hung, Yi-Feng & Lee, Tzu-Yuan, 2010. "Capacity rationing decision procedures with order profit as a continuous random variable," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 125-136, May.
- Dixit, Ashutosh & Whipple, Thomas W. & Zinkhan, George M. & Gailey, Edward, 2008. "A taxonomy of information technology-enhanced pricing strategies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 275-283, April.
- Chen, Jing & Bell, Peter C., 2009. "The impact of customer returns on pricing and order decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(1), pages 280-295, May.
- Tsai, Wen-Hsien & Hung, Shih-Jieh, 2009. "Dynamic pricing and revenue management process in Internet retailing under uncertainty: An integrated real options approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 471-481, April.
- Charalambos Christou & Rossitsa Kotseva & Nikolaos Vettas, 2009. "Pricing, Investments and Mergers with Intertemporal Capacity Constraints," Discussion Paper Series 2009_06, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Mar 2009.
- Tang, Christopher S., 2010. "A review of marketing-operations interface models: From co-existence to coordination and collaboration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 22-40, May.
- Gershkov, Alex & Moldovanu, Benny, 2007. "The Dynamic Assignment of Heterogenous Objects: A Mechanism Design Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 6439, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fleischmann, M. & Hall, J.M. & Pyke, D.F., 2005. "A Dynamic Pricing Model for Coordinated Sales and Operations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-074-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Transchel, Sandra & Minner, Stefan, 2011. "Economic lot-sizing and dynamic quantity competition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 416-422, September.
- Weaver, Robert D. & Moon, Yongma, 2011. "Pricing Perishables," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122007, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Kuo, Chia-Wei & Huang, Kwei-Long, 2012. "Dynamic pricing of limited inventories for multi-generation products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 394-403.
- Benny Moldovanu & Alex Gershkov, 2008. "The Trade-off Between Fast Learning and Dynamic Efficiency," 2008 Meeting Papers 348, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mak, Vincent & Rapoport, Amnon & Gisches, Eyran J., 2012. "Competitive dynamic pricing with alternating offers: Theory and experiment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 250-264.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.