An analytic model for locating facilities strategically
AbstractThis paper presents a strategic solution to the facility location problem which incorporates both external and internal criteria in the decision-making process. The external components of the model are customers and their wants, competitors, and the characteristics of various locations. The internal components of the model are the critical processes in the manufacturing organization. The framework presented uses quality function deployment (QFD), analytic hierarchy process (AHP) and analytic network process (ANP). QFD matrices with interconnected rows and columns relate market segments, competitive priorities, critical processes, location attributes and various locations. AHP determines the intensity of the relationship between the row and column variables of each matrix. Finally, ANP determines the intensity of synergistic effects among column variables. The model fine-tunes and adds precision to an otherwise qualitative strategic decision process. The applicability of our proposed model is demonstrated with a case study that summarizes an intervention in which the model's framework and basic concepts were applied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griffin, Abbie. & Hauser, John R., 1991.
"The voice of the customer,"
#56-91. Working paper (Sl, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Avella, P. & Benati, S. & Canovas Martinez, L. & Dalby, K. & Di Girolamo, D. & Dimitrijevic, B. & Ghiani, G. & Giannikos, I. & Guttmann, N. & Hultberg, T. H. & Fliege, J. & Marin, A. & Munoz Marquez, , 1998. "Some personal views on the current state and the future of locational analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 269-287, January.
- Badri, Masood A., 1999. "Combining the analytic hierarchy process and goal programming for global facility location-allocation problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 237-248, September.
- Current, John & Min, Hokey & Schilling, David, 1990. "Multiobjective analysis of facility location decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 295-307, December.
- Schmenner, Roger W. & Huber, Joel C. & Cook, Randall L., 1987. "Geographic differences and the location of new manufacturing facilities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y. & Epperly, John M., 1999. "A quality function deployment approach to task organization in peacekeeping force design," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 131-149, June.
- Chin-Tsai Lin & Meng-Chuan Tsai, 2010. "Location choice for direct foreign investment in new hospitals in China by using ANP and TOPSIS," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 375-390, February.
- Parra-López, Carlos & Groot, Jeroen C.J. & Carmona-Torres, Carmen & Rossing, Walter A.H., 2008. "Integrating public demands into model-based design for multifunctional agriculture: An application to intensive Dutch dairy landscapes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 538-551, November.
- Seyhan Sipahi Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Semih Tuzmen, 2011. "A Multi-Criteria Factor Evaluation Model For Gas Station Site Selection," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-164, Conference Master Resources.
- Parra-Lopez, Carlos & Groot, J.C.J. & Carmona-Torres, Carmen & Rossing, W.A.H., 2008. "Exploring sustainable technical alternatives for Dutch dairy systems by integrating agro-economic modelling and public preferences assessment," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44253, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wenstøp, Fred & Koppang, Haavard, 2009. "On operations research and value conflicts," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1109-1120, December.
- Tuzmen Semih & Sipahi Seyhan, 2011. "A Multi-Criteria Factor Evaluation Model For Gas Station Site Selection," Journal of Global Management, Global Research Agency, vol. 2(1), pages 12-21, July.
- Pelegrín, Blas & Fernández, Pascual & Dolores García Pérez, María & Cano Hernández, Saúl, 2012. "On the location of new facilities for chain expansion under delivered pricing," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Ramanathan, Ramakrishnan & Yunfeng, Jiang, 2009. "Incorporating cost and environmental factors in quality function deployment using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 711-723, June.
- Li, Yan-Lai & Tang, Jia-Fu & Chin, Kwai-Sang & Jiang, Yu-Shi & Han, Yi & Pu, Yun, 2011. "Estimating the final priority ratings of engineering characteristics in mature-period product improvement by MDBA and AHP," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 575-586, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.