Global imbalances, triangular trading patterns, and the yen/dollar exchange rate
AbstractTrade imbalances between Japan and the U.S. could cause the yen to appreciate against the dollar. Evidence presented here indicates that this could increase the U.S. trade deficit with Japan. An appreciation of the yen against the dollar would also cause the yen to appreciate against the RMB and other currencies in East Asia with heavily managed exchange rate regimes. Results reported here indicate that this would reduce the flow of capital and intermediate goods from Japan to East Asia, forcing firms to economize on sophisticated technology-intensive inputs that are difficult to procure elsewhere. This problem would be mitigated if countries in developing Asia adopted more flexible exchange rate regimes. J. Japanese Int. Economies 22 (4) (2008) 503-517.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of the Japanese and International Economies.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903
Japan Yen/dollar exchange rate Global imbalances Triangular trading patterns in East Asia Exchange rate elasticities;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Ahearne & John Fernald & Prakash Loungani & John Schindler, 2003.
"China and emerging Asia: comrades or competitors?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ronald McKinnon & Gunther Schnabl, 2003.
"Synchronised Business Cycles in East Asia and Fluctuations in the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(8), pages 1067-1088, 08.
- Ronald McKinnon & Gunther Schnabl, 2003. "Synchronized Business Cycles in East Asia and Fluctuations in the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate," Working Papers 022003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Koichiro Kamada & Izumi Takagawa, 2005.
"Policy coordination in East Asia and across the Pacific,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 275-306, December.
- Koichiro Kamada & Izumi Takagawa, 2005. "Policy Coordination in East Asia and across the Pacific," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-101, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000.
"Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?,"
96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003. "Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Edward E. Leamer & James Levinsohn, 1994.
"International Trade Theory: The Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
4940, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kozo Kiyota & Shujiro Urata, 2004. "Exchange Rate, Exchange Rate Volatility and Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(10), pages 1501-1536, November.
- Bewley, R. A., 1979. "The direct estimation of the equilibrium response in a linear dynamic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 357-361.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1982.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
239, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Nikitas Pittis, 2004. "Estimator Choice and Fisher's Paradox: A Monte Carlo Study," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 25-52.
- Nobuaki Hamaguchi & Silvio Miyazaki & Leonardo Correia, 2014. "State Space Application to Recent Automobile Sector Triangle Trade between Japan and Latin America," Discussion Paper Series DP2014-05, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 2014.
"The contribution of the yen appreciation since 2007 to the Japanese economic debacle,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 1-15.
- Willem Thorbecke, 2012. "The Contribution of the Yen Appreciation since 2007 to the Japanese Economic Debacle," Working Papers 2012-31, CEPII research center.
- Willem Thorbecke & Atsuyuki Kato, 2011.
"The Effect of Exchange Rate Changes on Japanese Consumption Exports,"
Trade Working Papers
23238, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Thorbecke, Willem & Kato, Atsuyuki, 2011. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Changes on Japanese Consumption Exports," ADBI Working Papers 298, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Willem Thorbecke & Atsuyuki Kato, 2011. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Changes on Japanese Consumption Exports," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23238, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2008.
"The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Fragmentation in East Asia: Evidence from the Electronics Industry,"
08016, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Thorbecke, Willem, 2008. "The effect of exchange rate volatility on fragmentation in East Asia: Evidence from the electronics industry," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 535-544, December.
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2012. "Estimating Trade Elasticities for World Capital Goods Exports," Discussion papers 12067, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2009. "Can East Asia be an Engine of Growth for the World Economy?," Discussion papers 09006, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Veysel Avsar & Kemal Turkcan, 2013. "Exchange Rate Volatility and U.S. Auto-Industry Exports: A Panel Cointegration Approach," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(4), pages 772 - 787.
- Andrea Fracasso & Stefano Schiavo, 2009. "Trade-imbalances networks and exchange rate adjustments: the paradox of a new Plaza. The XIVth Spring Meeting of Young Economists (SMYE-2009), Istanbul, April 2009," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10028, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10028 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.