Trade-imbalances networks and exchange rate adjustments: the paradox of a new Plaza. The XIVth Spring Meeting of Young Economists (SMYE-2009), Istanbul, April 2009
AbstractThis paper addresses the issue of a coordinated adjustment plan (“new Plaza") to close global imbalances. We show that the complexity of the network of bilateral trade imbalances has increased, revealing that any plan focusing on industrialised countries only is likely to be ineffective. By proposing new effective exchange rate measures based on bilateral imbalances, we show that exchange rate movements against debtor and creditor countries have not been consistent with the simultaneous closing of all bilateral positions. The difficulty to orchestrate a plan involving many partners is thus matched by the apparent inability of uncoordinated adjustments to close the imbalances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sciences Po in its series Sciences Po publications with number info:hdl:2441/10028.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Plaza agreement; exchange rates; global imbalances; network analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Klau & San Sau Fung, 2006. "The new BIS effective exchange rate indices," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 2006.
"Global imbalances and exchange rate adjustment,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 695-699, September.
- Berthou, Antoine, 2008. "An investigation on the effect of real exchange rate movements on OECD bilateral exports," Working Paper Series 0920, European Central Bank.
- van der Leij Marco & Goyal Sanjeev, 2011.
"Strong Ties in a Small World,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-22, June.
- Marco van der Leij & Sanjeev Goyal, 2006. "Strong Ties in a Small World," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-008/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Marco van der Leij & Sanjeev Goyal, 2010. "Strong ties in a small world," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Klein, Michael & Mizrach, Bruce & Murphy, Robert G, 1991. "Managing the Dollar: Has the Plaza Agreement Mattered?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(4), pages 742-51, November.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2008.
"The World-Trade Web: Topological Properties, Dynamics, and Evolution,"
LEM Papers Series
2008/16, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "The World-Trade Web: Topological Properties, Dynamics, and Evolution," Sciences Po publications 2008/16, Sciences Po.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"On the Topological Properties of the World Trade Web: A Weighted Network Analysis,"
- Fagiolo, Giorgio & Reyes, Javier & Schiavo, Stefano, 2008. "On the topological properties of the world trade web: A weighted network analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(15), pages 3868-3873.
- Marcel Fratzscher, 2008.
"US shocks and global exchange rate configurations,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 363-409, 04.
- Black, Stanley W, 1976. "Multilateral and Bilateral Measures of Effective Exchange Rates in a World Model of Traded Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 615-21, June.
- D. Garlaschelli & M. I. Loffredo, 2004. "Fitness-dependent topological properties of the World Trade Web," Papers cond-mat/0403051, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2004.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 2008. "Global imbalances, triangular trading patterns, and the yen/dollar exchange rate," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 503-517, December.
- McKinnon, Ronald & Schnabl, Gunther, 2006. "Devaluing the dollar: A critical analysis of William Cline's case for a New Plaza Agreement," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 683-694, September.
- M. Serrano & Marián Boguñá & Alessandro Vespignani, 2007. "Patterns of dominant flows in the world trade web," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 111-124, December.
- Andrea Fracasso, 2007. "Taking stock: global imbalances. Where do we stand and where are we aiming to?," Department of Economics Working Papers 0730, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Battiston, Stefano & Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2007. "Credit chains and bankruptcy propagation in production networks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2061-2084, June.
- Mazier, Jacques & Oh, YongHyup & Saglio, Sophie, 2008. "Exchange rates, global imbalances, and interdependence in East Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 53-73, February.
- Raja Kali & Javier Reyes, 2007. "The architecture of globalization: a network approach to international economic integration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 595-620, July.
- Richard N. Cooper, 2008. "Global Imbalances: Globalization, Demography, and Sustainability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 93-112, Summer.
- Baclet, A. & Vidon, E., 2008. "Liquid assets, liquidity constraints and global imbalances," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 11, pages 111-122, February.
- M. Angeles Serrano & Marian Boguna & Alessandro Vespignani, 2007. "Patterns of dominant flows in the world trade web," Papers 0704.1225, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.