Managing the Dollar: Has the Plaza Agreement Mattered?
AbstractThis paper considers whether the Plaza Agreement of September 1985 marked the beginning of a fundamental shift in the exchange-rate policy regime for the United States, the former West Germany, and Japan. The paper uses a simple monetary model of the open economy to illustrate how the exchange rate responses to news about the trade balance when the government authorities gear policy toward resolving external imbalances. The paper finds that U.S. dollars exchange rates against the Japanese yen and the West German mark respond strongly to news about the U.S. trade deficit during the period following the Plaza Agreement but not during the period preceding the Agreement. This evidence, evaluated in the context of the simple model, suggests that the Plaza Agreement marked a significant shift toward more active government management of exchange rates. Copyright 1991 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 23 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2008.
"How successful is the G7 in managing exchange rates?,"
Working Paper Series
0952, European Central Bank.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2009. "How successful is the G7 in managing exchange rates?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 78-88, September.
- Marcel Fratzscher, 2009. "How successful is the G7 in managing exchange rates?," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 24, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Fanelli, Luca & Paruolo, Paolo, 2010.
"Speed of adjustment in cointegrated systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 130-141, September.
- Chatrath, Arjun & Miao, Hong & Ramchander, Sanjay & Villupuram, Sriram, 2014. "Currency jumps, cojumps and the role of macro news," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 42-62.
- Martin D. D. Evans & Richard K. Lyons, 2003.
"How is Macro News Transmitted to Exchange Rates?,"
NBER Working Papers
9433, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 2005.
"Establishing Credibility: Evolving Perceptions of the European Central Bank,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 2005. "Establishing credibility: evolving perceptions of the European Central Bank," Staff Reports 231, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 2005. "Establishing Credibility: Evolving Perceptions of the European Central Bank," NBER Working Papers 11792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 2007. "Establishing Credibility: Evolving Perceptions of the European Central Bank," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp194, IIIS.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10028 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fracasso, Andrea & Schiavo, Stefano, 2009. "Global imbalances, exchange rates adjustment and the crisis: Implications from network analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 601-619, September.
- Martin D.D. Evans & Richard K. Lyons, 2005.
"Do Currency Markets Absorb News Quickly?,"
NBER Working Papers
11041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher J. Neely & S. Rubun Dey, 2010. "A survey of announcement effects on foreign exchange returns," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 417-464.
- Martin D. D. Evans(Georgetown University and NBER) and Richard K. Lyons(U.C. Berkeley and NBER, Haas School of Business), 2005. "How is Macro News Transmitted to Exchange Rates? (December 2003)," Working Papers gueconwpa~05-05-05, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Tanner, Glenn, 1997. "A note on economic news and intraday exchange rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 573-585, April.
- Savaser, Tanseli, 2011.
"Exchange rate response to macronews: Through the lens of microstructure,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-126, February.
- Tanseli Savaser, 2007. "Exchange Rate Response to Macro News: Through the Lens of Microstructure," Department of Economics Working Papers 2007-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Andrea Fracasso & Stefano Schiavo, 2009. "Trade-imbalances networks and exchange rate adjustments: the paradox of a new Plaza. The XIVth Spring Meeting of Young Economists (SMYE-2009), Istanbul, April 2009," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10028, Sciences Po.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.