Doomed to Deficits? Aggregate U.S. Trade Flows Re-Examined
AbstractThis paper examines the stability of import and export demand functions for the United States over the 1975q1-2001q2 period. Using the Johansen maximum likelihood approach, an export demand function is readily identified. In contrast, there appears to be a structural break in the import demand function in 1995; specifications incorporating this break pass tests for cointegration, although the price elasticity is not statistically significant. Only when excluding computers and parts from the import series is a stable import demand function detected. The resulting point estimates do not exhibit the income asymmetry typically found in other studies of aggregate U.S. trade flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of World Economics.
Volume (Year): 141 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hindenburgufer 66, D-24105 Kiel
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10290/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2003. "Doomed to Deficits? Aggregate U.S. Trade Flows Re-Examined," NBER Working Papers 9521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellen E. Meade, 1991.
"Computers and the Trade Deficit: The Case of the Falling Prices,"
in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 61-88
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen E. Meade, 1990. "Computers and the trade deficit: the case of the falling prices," International Finance Discussion Papers 378, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Paul Krugman, 1989.
"Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1989. "Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Karl Whelan, 2000. "A guide to the use of chain aggregated NIPA data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Boyd, Derick & Caporale, Gugielmo Maria & Smith, Ron, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Effects on the Balance of Trade: Cointegration and the Marshall-Lerner Condition," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 187-200, July.
- Dominique Desruelle & Alessandro Zanello, 1997. "A Primer on the IMF's Information Notice System," IMF Working Papers 97/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Catherine L. Mann, 2002. "Perspectives on the U.S. Current Account Deficit and Sustainability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 131-152, Summer.
- Michael P. Leahy, 1998. "New summary measures of the foreign exchange value of the dollar," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 811-818.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1991. "The role of exchange rates in a popular model of international trade : Does the 'Marshall-Lerner' condition hold?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 301-316, May.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Yellen, Janet L., 1989. "Is there a J-curve?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-68, July.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2009.
"Cointegration And Asymmetric Adjustment: Some New Evidence Concerning The Behaviour Of The Us Current Account,"
Working Paper Series
16_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Holmes Mark J. & Panagiotidis Theodore, 2009. "Cointegration and Asymmetric Adjustment: Some New Evidence Concerning the Behavior of the U.S. Current Account," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2009. "Cointegration and asymmetric adjustment: Some new evidence concerning the behaviour of the US current account," Discussion Paper Series 2009_11, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised May 2009.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Bardaka, Ioanna, 2010.
"New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance,"
32047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Bardaka, Ioanna C., 2010. "New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 217-228, January.
- Mizanur RAHMAN & Willem THORBECKE, 2007. "How Would China's Exports be Affected by a Unilateral Appreciation of the RMB and a Joint Appreciation of Countries Supplying Intermediate Imports?," Discussion papers 07012, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Diego Bastourre & Luis Casanova & Alejo Espora, 2011. "Tipo de Cambio Real y Crecimiento: Síntesis de la Evidencia y Agenda de Investigación," Department of Economics, Working Papers 082, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Ioanna C. Bardaka, 2008. "Price and Non - Price Competitiveness of Exports of Manufactures," Working Papers 69, Bank of Greece.
- Margarita Katsimi & Thomas Moutos, 2006.
"Inequality and the US Import Demand Function,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1827, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yoko Oguro & Kyoji Fukao & Yougesh Khatri, 2008. "Trade Sensitivity to Exchange Rates in the Context of Intra-Industry Trade," IMF Working Papers 08/134, International Monetary Fund.
- Yoko Oguro, 2007. "The Influence of Intra-Industry Trade on Export Sensitivity to Exchange Rates," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d07-222, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Giavazzi, Francesco & Sa, Filipa, 2005.
"The US Current Account and the Dollar,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- ANDO Mitsuyo & IRIYAMA Akie, 2009. "International Production Networks and Export/Import Responsiveness to Exchange Rates: The case of Japanese manufacturing firms," Discussion papers 09049, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Claudio H. Dos Santos & Anwar M. Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza, 2003.
"Measures of the Real GDP of U.S. Trading Partners: Methodology and Results,"
- Claudio H. dos Santos & Anwar Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza, 2003. "Measures of the Real GDP of US Trading Partners: Methodology and Results," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_387, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Anwar Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza & Claudio dos Santos, . "Is International Growth the Way Out of U.S. Current Account Deficits? A Note of Caution," Economics Policy Note Archive 03-6, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2007. "The exchange rate and machinery and equipment imports: Identifying the impact of import source and export destination country currency valuation changes," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-21, February.
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2009. "Can East Asia be an Engine of Growth for the World Economy?," Discussion papers 09006, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.