Issues in measuring a monthly house price index in New Zealand
AbstractThe sale price appraisal ratio (SPAR) method, which takes the ratios of the current house prices and their previous assessed values to construct an index, has been applied in New Zealand since the 1960s. This paper uses housing market transaction data for 12 cities in New Zealand (1994-2004) to develop monthly SPAR house price indices. These indices were subjected to a variety of statistical tests and benchmarked against the comparable monthly quality controlled weighted repeat sales indices. Finally, the paper provides some useful suggestions for future research based on the SPAR index and other alternative house price indices, such as the assessed value (AV) method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Housing Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622881
House price index SPAR Repeat sales Assessed value;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Pao Lun, 1974. "Property Taxation, Assessment Performance, and Its Measurement," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 29(3-4), pages 268-84.
- David Geltner & David C. Ling, 2006. "Considerations in the Design and Construction of Investment Real Estate Research Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(4), pages 411-444.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Bourassa, Steven C. & Hoesli, Martin & Sun, Jian, 2006.
"A simple alternative house price index method,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 80-97, March.
- Clapham, Eric & Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M. & Redfearn, Christian L., 2007.
"Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt1m2340dt, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Eric Clapham & Peter Englund & John M. Quigley & Christian L. Redfearn, 2006. "Revisiting the Past and Settling the Score: Index Revision for House Price Derivatives," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 275-302, 06.
- Gary C. Cornia & Barrett A. Slade, 2005. "Property Taxation of Multifamily Housing: An Empirical Analysis of Vertical and Horizontal Equity and Assessment Methods," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(1), pages 17-46.
- Englund, Peter & Quigley, John M & Redfearn, Christian L, 1999. "The Choice of Methodology for Computing Housing Price Indexes: Comparisons of Temporal Aggregation and Sample Definition," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 91-112, September.
- Brian J. L. Berry & Robert S. Bednarz, 1975. "A Hedonic Model of Prices and Assessments for Single-Family Homes: Does the Assessor Follow the Market or the Market Follow the Assessor?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 51(1), pages 21-40.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & Weber, Rachel N., 2008. "Thin Markets and Property Tax Inequities: A Multinomial Logit Approach," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 61(4), pages 653-71, December .
- Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1991. "House Price Indexes: Issues and Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 259-269.
- Jesse M. Abraham & William S. Schauman, 1991. "New Evidence on Home Prices from Freddie Mac Repeat Sales," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 333-352.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1991. "Arithmetic Repeat Sales Price Estimators," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 971, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.