Economic effects of upfront subsidies to ownership: The case of the Prêt à Taux Zéro in France
AbstractThis article analyses some effects of the French upfront subsidy to homeownership called Prêt à Taux Zéro (PTZ) introduced in 1996. The PTZ can be viewed as a downpayment subsidy to low and middle-income first-time buyers. The effects of the subsidy are modelled by simulating the introduction of the PTZ in an econometric model of mobility and tenure choice estimated on micro-data. Our results show that the PTZ significantly increases access to ownership by allowing some households to leave the rental sector sooner. However, the PTZ generates a large windfall effect. We estimate that 85% of the beneficiaries in a 4-year period would still have moved to own in the absence of the subsidy. As a consequence, the PTZ has a rather low multiplier effect, which we estimate at around 1.3. Our simulations also show that the PTZ may not help to improve the overall quality of new construction in France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Housing Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622881
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Arnott, Richard J. & MacKinnon, James G., 1977.
"Measuring the costs of height restrictions with a general equilibrium model,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 359-375, November.
- Richard Arnott & James G. MacKinnon, 1976. "Measuring the Costs of Height Restrictions with a General Equilibrium Model," Working Papers 242, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Duca, John V. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 1994. "Borrowing constraints and access to owner-occupied housing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 301-322, June.
- Nicole Tabard, 1993. "Des quartiers pauvres aux banlieues aisées : une représentation sociale du territoire," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 270(1), pages 5-22.
- Marjorie Flavin & Takashi Yamashita, 2002. "Owner-Occupied Housing and the Composition of the Household Portfolio," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 345-362, March.
- David le Blanc & Christine Lagarenne, 2004. "Owner-Occupied Housing and the Composition of the Household Portfolio: The Case of France," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 259-275, November.
- Peter Linneman & Susan Wachter, 1989. "The Impacts of Borrowing Constraints on Homeownership," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 389-402.
- Peter M. Zorn, 1989. "Mobility-Tenure Decisions and Financial Credit: Do Mortgage Qualification Requirements Constrain Homeownership?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-16.
- Linneman, Peter & Megbolugbe, Isaac F. & Wachter, Susan M. & Cho, Man, 1997. "Do Borrowing Constraints Change U.S. Homeownership Rates?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 318-333, December.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ionnides, Yannis M, 1986. "Tenure Choice and the Demand for Housing," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210), pages 231-46, May.
- Laurent GobiIIon & François-Charles Wolff, 2011.
"Housing and Location Choices of Retiring Households: Evidence from France,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 48(2), pages 331-347, February.
- Laurent GOBILLON & François-Charles WOLFF, 2009. "Housing and Location Choices of Retiring Households : Evidence from France," Working Papers 2009-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Laurent Gobillon & François-Charles Wolff, 2009. "Housing and locations choices of retiring households : Evidence from France," Working Papers 162, Institut National d'Études Démographiques (INED).
- Laurent Gobillon & François-Charles Wolff, 2009. "Housing and location choices of retiring households: Evidence from France," PSE Working Papers hal-00424096, HAL.
- Suntum, Ulrich van, 2009. "Housing, taxation and retirement provision," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 249-255, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.