The culture of private negotiation: Endogenous price anchors in simple bilateral bargaining experiments
AbstractUsing bilateral bargaining data from laboratory experimental markets, this paper demonstrates how common knowledge about price averages from past bargains impacts current negotiated prices. This common information creates an endogenous and declining anchor for bargaining agents. The culture of private negotiation leads parties to agreements below the anchor. Currently negotiated prices below the anchor cause reported averages in the next period to fall. The relation between the endogenous anchor and the negotiating culture leads to a downward drift in negotiated prices. Through at least 20 periods of bargaining, relative earnings are distributed toward buyers and away from sellers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 76 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Negotiation Anchoring Bargaining experiments;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McFadden, Daniel L., 2000.
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
2000-6, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Grunewald, Sarah & Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E., 2002.
"Cattle Feeder Perceptions Of Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting,"
2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri
19056, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Sarah Grunewald & Ted C. Schroeder & Clement E. Ward, 2004. "Cattle Feeder Perceptions of Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 521-538.
- Menkhaus, Dale J. & Phillips, Owen R. & Bastian, Christopher T. & Gittings, Lance B., 2007. "AJAE Appendix: The Matching Problem (and Inventories) in Private Negotiation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), November.
- Phillips, Owen R. & Menkhaus, Dale J. & Krogmeier, Joseph L., 2001. "Production-to-order or production-to-stock: the endogenous choice of institution in experimental auction markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 333-345, March.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Noussair, C.N. & Plott, C. & Riezman, R., 1995.
"An experimental investigation of the patterns of international trade,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-387775, Tilburg University.
- Noussair, Charles N & Plott, Charles R & Riezman, Raymond G, 1995. "An Experimental Investigation of the Patterns of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 462-91, June.
- Noussair, Charles & Plott, Charles & Riezman, Raymond., . "An Experimental Investigation of the Patterns of International Trade," Working Papers 799, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Green, Donald & Jacowitz, Karen E. & Kahneman, Daniel & McFadden, Daniel, 1998.
"Referendum contingent valuation, anchoring, and willingness to pay for public goods,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 85-116, June.
- Donald Green & Karen Jacowitz & Daniel Kahneman & Daniel McFadden, 1995. "Referendum Contingent Valuation, Anchoring, and Willingness to Pay for Public Goods," Working Papers _010, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Christopher T. Bastian & Lance B. Gittings, 2007. "The Matching Problem (and Inventories) in Private Negotiation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 1073-1084.
- Owen Phillips & Dale Menkhaus & Joseph Krogmeier, 2001. "Laboratory Behavior in Spot and Forward Auction Markets," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 243-256, December.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1982. "Microeconomic Systems as an Experimental Science," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 923-55, December.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2009. "Market Culture: How Rules Governing Exploding Offers Affect Market Performance," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 199-219, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.