Sustainable development and entrepreneurship: Past contributions and future directions
AbstractThis article discusses the emerging research concerned with sustainable development and entrepreneurship, which is the focus of this special issue of the Journal of Business Venturing. Entrepreneurship has been recognized as a major conduit for sustainable products and processes, and new ventures are being held up as a panacea for many social and environmental concerns. However, there remains considerable uncertainty regarding the nature of entrepreneurship's role and how it may unfold. We begin with an overview of sustainable development and the role of entrepreneurship and outline recent contributions exploring this role. We then summarize the papers presented in this special issue and conclude with suggestions for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Venturing.
Volume (Year): 25 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent
Entrepreneurship Sustainable development Economic transformation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohammed Solaiman & Ataur Rahman Belal, 1999. "An account of the sustainable development process in Bangladesh," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 121-131.
- John Elkington, 2006. "Governance for Sustainability," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(6), pages 522-529, November.
- Allan Gray & Michael Boehlje & Vincent Amanor-Boadu & Joan Fulton, 2004. "Agricultural Innovation and New Ventures: Assessing the Commercial Potential," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1322-1329.
- Kuckertz, Andreas & Wagner, Marcus, 2010. "The influence of sustainability orientation on entrepreneurial intentions -- Investigating the role of business experience," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 524-539, September.
- Travis Gliedt & Paul Parker, 2007. "Green community entrepreneurship: creative destruction in the social economy," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(8), pages 538-553, August.
- Bianchi, Raffaella & Noci, Giuliano, 1998. " "Greening" SMEs' Competitiveness," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 269-81, November.
- Robinson, John, 2004. "Squaring the circle? Some thoughts on the idea of sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 369-384, April.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808.
- Parrish, Bradley D., 2010. "Sustainability-driven entrepreneurship: Principles of organization design," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 510-523, September.
- Rothenberg, Sandra, 2007. "Environmental managers as institutional entrepreneurs: The influence of institutional and technical pressures on waste management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 749-757, July.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Pacheco, Desirée F. & Dean, Thomas J. & Payne, David S., 2010. "Escaping the green prison: Entrepreneurship and the creation of opportunities for sustainable development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 464-480, September.
- Cohen, Boyd & Winn, Monika I., 2007. "Market imperfections, opportunity and sustainable entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 29-49, January.
- Udo Staber, 1997. "An ecological perspective on entrepreneurship in industrial districts," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 45-64, January.
- Marie-Andrée Caron & Marie-France B. Turcotte, 2009. "Path dependence and path creation: Framing the extra-financial information market for a sustainable trajectory," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(2), pages 272-297, February.
- Agterbosch, Susanne & Vermeulen, Walter & Glasbergen, Pieter, 2004. "Implementation of wind energy in the Netherlands: the importance of the social-institutional setting," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(18), pages 2049-2066, December.
- Meek, William R. & Pacheco, Desirée F. & York, Jeffrey G., 2010. "The impact of social norms on entrepreneurial action: Evidence from the environmental entrepreneurship context," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 493-509, September.
- Dean, Thomas J. & McMullen, Jeffery S., 2007. "Toward a theory of sustainable entrepreneurship: Reducing environmental degradation through entrepreneurial action," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 50-76, January.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1970. "The Private Production of Public Goods," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 293-306, October.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-76, October.
- Peter J. Ras & Walter J. V. Vermeulen, 2009. "Sustainable production and the performance of South African entrepreneurs in a global supply chain. The case of South African table grape producers," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 325-340.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Gedajlovic, Eric & Neubaum, Donald O. & Shulman, Joel M., 2009. "A typology of social entrepreneurs: Motives, search processes and ethical challenges," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 519-532, September.
- Jeremy Hall & Stelvia Matos & Cooper Langford, 2008. "Social Exclusion and Transgenic Technology: The Case of Brazilian Agriculture," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 77(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Ilskog, Elisabeth, 2008. "Indicators for assessment of rural electrification--An approach for the comparison of apples and pears," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2665-2673, July.
- Jan Lepoutre & Rachida Justo & Siri Terjesen & Niels Bosma, 2011. "Designing a Global Standardized Methodology for Measuring Social Entrepreneurship," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1107, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised Sep 2011.
- Tobias, Jutta M. & Mair, Johanna & Barbosa-Leiker, Celestina, 2013. "Toward a theory of transformative entrepreneuring: Poverty reduction and conflict resolution in Rwanda's entrepreneurial coffee sector," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 728-742.
- Jennings, P. Devereaux & Greenwood, Royston & Lounsbury, Michael D. & Suddaby, Roy, 2013. "Institutions, entrepreneurs, and communities: A special issue on entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-9.
- Fletcher, Denise & Knol, Erik & Janicki, Marcin, 2010. "The Energy2B project: stimulating environmental entrepreneurship and building an energy infrastructure through institutional entrepreneurship," MPRA Paper 31361, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patricia Crifo & Vanina Forget & Sabrina Teyssier, 2012. "The price of unsustainability: An experiment with professional private equity investors," Working Papers hal-00757203, HAL.
- Tang, Zhi & Tang, Jintong, 2012. "Stakeholder–firm power difference, stakeholders' CSR orientation, and SMEs' environmental performance in China," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 436-455.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.