A new quantile regression forecasting model
AbstractQuantile regression is popular because it provides more information as well as comprehensive interpretations. To improve forecasting performance, this study proposes a new quantile information criterion (NQIC), on the basis of the coefficient of variation, and expects the NQIC to reflect whether a variable is predictable. The health care expenditure data determine the thresholds for the NQICs. The thresholds assist in forecasting the development of information and communication technology. From the empirical analyses, the NQICs and thresholds greatly improve the forecasting performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 67 (2014)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Health care expenditure; ICT; New quantile information criterion; Forecasting;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Yuzhi Cai & Julian Stander & Neville Davies, 2012. "A new Bayesian approach to quantile autoregressive time series model estimation and forecasting," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 684-698, 07.
- Yu, Tiffany Hui-Kuang, 2011. "Heterogeneous effects of different factors on global ICT adoption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1169-1173.
- Konrad Banachewicz & Andr� Lucas, 2007.
"Quantile Forecasting for Credit Risk Management using possibly Mis-specified Hidden Markov Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-046/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Konrad Banachewicz & André Lucas, 2008. "Quantile forecasting for credit risk management using possibly misspecified hidden Markov models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(7), pages 566-586.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
- Chan, Nancy Y. C. & Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard, 2009.
"Bayesian time-varying quantile forecasting for Value-at-Risk in financial markets,"
01/2009, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
- Gerlach, Richard H. & Chen, Cathy W. S. & Chan, Nancy Y. C., 2011. "Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 481-492.
- Taylor, James W., 2007. "Forecasting daily supermarket sales using exponentially weighted quantile regression," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 154-167, April.
- Gilbert W. Bassett Jr. & Hsiu-Lang Chen, 2001. "Portfolio style: Return-based attribution using quantile regression," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 293-305.
- Martins, Pedro S. & Pereira, Pedro T., 2004. "Does education reduce wage inequality? Quantile regression evidence from 16 countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 355-371, June.
- Granger, C. W. J. & White, Halbert & Kamstra, Mark, 1989. "Interval forecasting : An analysis based upon ARCH-quantile estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 87-96, January.
- Tae-Hwy Lee & Yong Bao & Burak Saltoglu, 2006. "Evaluating predictive performance of value-at-risk models in emerging markets: a reality check," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 101-128.
- Buchinsky, Moshe, 1994. "Changes in the U.S. Wage Structure 1963-1987: Application of Quantile Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 405-58, March.
- Koenker R. & Geling O., 2001. "Reappraising Medfly Longevity: A Quantile Regression Survival Analysis," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 458-468, June.
- Seo, Joo Hwan & Perry, Vanessa G. & Tomczyk, David & Solomon, George T., 2014. "Who benefits most? The effects of managerial assistance on high- versus low-performing small businesses," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2845-2852.
- Conley, Timothy G. & Galenson, David W., 1998. "Nativity and Wealth in Mid-Nineteenth-Century Cities," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(02), pages 468-493, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.