Portfolio style: Return-based attribution using quantile regression
AbstractReturn-based classification identifies a portfolio's style signature in the time series of its returns. Detection is based on a regression of portfolio returns on returns of factor mimicking indices. The method is easy to apply and does not require information about portfolio composition. Classification using least squares means that style is determined by the way factor exposure influences expected returns. We introduce regression quantiles as a complement to the standard analysis. The regression quantiles extract additional information from the time series of returns by identifying the way style affects returns at places other than the expected value. This allows discrimination among portfolios that would be otherwise judged equivalent based on conditional expectations. It also provides direct information about the impact of style on the tails of the conditional return distribution. Simple examples are presented to illustrate regression quantile classification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Carrillo & Anthony Yezer, 2008.
"Alternative Measures of Homeownership Gaps Across Segregated Neighboorhoods,"
2008-07, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Carrillo, Paul & Yezer, Anthony, 2009. "Alternative measures of homeownership gaps across segregated neighborhoods," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 542-552, September.
- Huarng, Kun-Huang & Yu, Tiffany Hui-Kuang, 2014. "A new quantile regression forecasting model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 779-784.
- Amparo Soler Domínguez & Juan Carlos Matallín Sáez & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2013. "Does active management add value? New evidence from a quantile regression approach," Working Papers. Serie EC 2013-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- RAMDANI, Dendi & VAN WITTELOOSTUIJN, Arjen, 2009. "Board independence, CEO duality and firm performance: A quantile regression analysis for Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea and Thailand," Working Papers 2009004, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Lee, Bong Soo & Li, Ming-Yuan Leon, 2012. "Diversification and risk-adjusted performance: A quantile regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2157-2173.
- Tobias Adrian & Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2011.
NBER Working Papers
17454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. L. Miguéis & D. F. Benoit & D. Van Den Poel, 2012. "Enhanced Decision Support in Credit Scoring Using Bayesian Binary Quantile Regression," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/803, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- RAMDANI, Dendi & VAN WITTELOOSTUIJN, Arjen, 2009. "Board independence, CEO duality and firm performance: A quantile regression analysis for Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea and Thailand," ACED Working Papers 2009003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Sánchez-Vidal, F. Javier, 2014. "High debt companies' leverage determinants in Spain: A quantile regression approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 455-465.
- Thomas Q. Pedersen, 2010. "Predictable return distributions," CREATES Research Papers 2010-38, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Meligkotsidou, Loukia & Vrontos, Ioannis D. & Vrontos, Spyridon D., 2009. "Quantile regression analysis of hedge fund strategies," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 264-279, March.
- J. Carlos Matallín-Sáez & Amparo Soler-Domínguez & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2013. "Does active management add value? New evidence from a quantile regression," Working Papers 2013/01, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Baur, Dirk G. & Schulze, Niels, 2009. "Financial market stability--A test," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 506-519, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.