Assessing the risk-return trade-off in loan portfolios
AbstractThis paper proposes a methodology to analyse the risk and return of large loan portfolios in a joint setting. I propose a tractable model to obtain the distribution of loan returns from observed interest rates and default frequencies. I follow a sectoral approach that captures the heterogeneous cyclical features of different kinds of loans and yields moments in closed form. I investigate the validity of mean–variance analysis with a value at risk constraint and study its relationship with utility maximisation. Finally, I study the efficiency of corporate and household loan portfolios in an empirical application to the Spanish banking system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Credit risk; Multivariate distribution; Probability of default; Asset pricing; Risk aversion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 2007. "Econometric specification of stochastic discount factor models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 509-530, February.
- Ricardo Gimeno & José Manuel Marqués, 2008. "Uncertainty and the price of risk in a nominal convergence process," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0802, Banco de Espa�a.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M., 2006. "Does the Basle Capital Accord reduce bank fragility? An assessment of the value-at-risk approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1631-1660, October.
- Alfredo Martín-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumás & Jesús Saurina, 2005.
"A test of the law of one price in retail banking,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0530, Banco de Espa�a.
- Edward I. Altman, 1996. "Corporate Bond and Commercial Loan Portfolio Analysis," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-6, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Antonella Foglia, 2009. "Stress Testing Credit Risk: A Survey of Authorities' Aproaches," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(3), pages 9-45, September.
- Ángel León & Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2005.
"Parametric Properties Of Semi-Nonparametric Distributions, With Applications To Option Valuation,"
- LeÃ³n, Ãngel & MencÃa, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2009. "Parametric Properties of Semi-Nonparametric Distributions, with Applications to Option Valuation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 176-192.
- León, Ángel & Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2005. "Parametric Properties of Semi-Nonparametric Distributions, With Applications to Option Valuation," CEPR Discussion Papers 5435, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ángel León & Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2007. "Parametric properties of semi-nonparametric distributions, with applications to option valuation," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0707, Banco de Espa�a.
- Virolainen , Kimmo, 2004. "Macro stress testing with a macroeconomic credit risk model for Finland," Research Discussion Papers 18/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Stoughton, Neal M. & Zechner, Josef, 2007.
"Optimal capital allocation using RAROC(TM) and EVA(R),"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 312-342, July.
- Stoughton, Neal & Zechner, Josef, 2004. "Optimal Capital Allocation Using RAROC(tm) and EVA," CEPR Discussion Papers 4169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward Altman, 1996. "Corporate Bond and Commercial Loan Portfolio Analysis," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-41, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Baptista, Alexandre M. & Yan, Shu, 2007. "Mean-variance portfolio selection with `at-risk' constraints and discrete distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3761-3781, December.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-33, December.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1983. "A characterization of the distributions that imply mean--Variance utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 185-201, February.
- Feder, Gershon, 1980. "A Note on Debt, Assets and Lending under Default Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 191-200, March.
- Jimenez, Gabriel & Saurina, Jesus, 2004. "Collateral, type of lender and relationship banking as determinants of credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2191-2212, September.
- Chirinko, Robert S. & Guill, Gene D., 1991. "A framework for assessing credit risk in depository institutions: Toward regulatory reform," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 785-804, September.
- Jimenez, Gabriel & Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2006. "Determinants of collateral," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 255-281, August.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jesús Saurina, 2004. "Collateral, type of lender and relationship banking as determinants of credit risk," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0414, Banco de Espa�a.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Edward I. Altman & Brooks Brady & Andrea Resti & Andrea Sironi, 2005. "The Link between Default and Recovery Rates: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2203-2228, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.