The pricing dynamics of cross-listed securities: The case of Chinese A- and H-shares
AbstractWe develop a non-linear Markov error correction approach to examine the general co-integration relation between the H- and A-prices of cross-listed Chinese stock issuers across the period January 1999 to March 2009. We unravel three important dimensions of this relation. These pertain to (i) the long-run expectation of the H- (to A-price) discount; (ii) the level of short-run co-movement in prices; and (iii) the magnitude of error corrections. Findings point to significant improvements in all three areas. Policy and corporate governance change appears to be the principal force driving the efficiency gains. Weakening informational asymmetries underlie much of the change in the markets' relative pricing. In contrast, sentiment effects strongly underpin the contemporaneous response and error correction adjustments. Finally, the escalating Global Financial Crisis of 2008 appears to have not only bolstered the A- and H-markets' short-term pricing dynamic but also temporarily increased the long-term H-share discount.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Cross listing Error correction Co-integration A-share H-share Markov switching;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens, Stijn & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007.
"International financial integration through equity markets : which firms from which countries go global ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4146, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "International financial integration through equity markets: Which firms from which countries go global?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 788-813, September.
- Claessens, Stijn & Schmukler, Sergio, 2007. "International Financial Integration through Equity Markets: Which Firms from Which Countries Go Global?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jon A. Garfinkel & Jonathan Sokobin, 2006. "Volume, Opinion Divergence, and Returns: A Study of Post-Earnings Announcement Drift," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 85-112, 03.
- Gary Gang Tian, 2007. "Are Chinese Stock Markets Increasing Integration With Other Markets In The Greater China Region And Other Major Markets?," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 240-253, 09.
- Wang, Steven Shuye & Jiang, Li, 2004. "Location of trade, ownership restrictions, and market illiquidity: Examining Chinese A- and H-shares," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1273-1297, June.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Chambet, Anthony & Gibson, Rajna, 2008. "Financial integration, economic instability and trade structure in emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 654-675, June.
- Hall, Stephen G & Psaradakis, Zacharias & Sola, Martin, 1997. "Cointegration and Changes in Regime: The Japanese Consumption Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 151-68, March-Apr.
- Richard R. Mendenhall, 2004. "Arbitrage Risk and Post-Earnings-Announcement Drift," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 875-894, October.
- Gromb, Denis & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2010.
"Limits of Arbitrage: The State of the Theory,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hombert, Johan & Thesmar, David, 2009. "Limits of Limits of Arbitrage: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 7212, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"The Limits of Arbitrage,"
NBER Working Papers
5167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Abreu, Dilip & Brunnermeier, Markus K., 2002. "Synchronization risk and delayed arbitrage," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 341-360.
- De Long, J Bradford, et al, 1990.
" Positive Feedback Investment Strategies and Destabilizing Rational Speculation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 379-95, June.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, 1989. "Positive Feedback Investment Strategies and Destabilizing Rational Speculation," NBER Working Papers 2880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niklas Ahlgren & Bo Sjo & Jianhua Zhang, 2009. "Panel cointegration of Chinese A and B shares," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(23), pages 1859-1871.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 2009. "Presidential Address: Sophisticated Investors and Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(4), pages 1517-1548, 08.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Asani Sarkar & Lifan Wu, 1998.
"Information asymmetry, market segmentation, and the pricing of cross-listed shares: theory and evidence from Chinese A and B shares,"
9820, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Sarkar, Asani & Wu, Lifan, 1998. "Information asymmetry, market segmentation and the pricing of cross-listed shares: theory and evidence from Chinese A and B shares," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 325-356, December.
- Xiaoqing Eleanor Xu & Hung-Gay Fung, 2002. "Information Flows across Markets: Evidence from China-Backed Stocks Dual-Listed in Hong Kong and New York," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(4), pages 563-588, November.
- Paul B. McGuinness, 2009. "An overview and assessment of the reform of the non-tradable shares of Chinese state-owned enterprise A-share issuers," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 41-56, february.
- Arquette, Gregory C. & Brown Jr., William O. & Burdekin, Richard C.K., 2008. "US ADR and Hong Kong H-share discounts of Shanghai-listed firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1916-1927, September.
- Hong Li, 2007. "International linkages of the Chinese stock exchanges: a multivariate GARCH analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 285-297.
- Fiess, Norbert & Shankar, Rashmi, 2009. "Determinants of exchange rate regime switching," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 68-98, February.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 1998. "International Cross-Listing and Order Flow Migration: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2001-2027, December.
- Paul McGuinness & Michael Ferguson, 2005. "The ownership structure of listed Chinese State-owned enterprises and its relation to corporate performance," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 231-246.
- Jun Liu, 2004. "Losing Money on Arbitrage: Optimal Dynamic Portfolio Choice in Markets with Arbitrage Opportunities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(3), pages 611-641.
- Burdekin, Richard C.K. & Redfern, Luke, 2009. "Sentiment effects on Chinese share prices and savings deposits: The post-2003 experience," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 246-261, June.
- Markus K Brunnermeier, 2002.
"Bubbles and Crashes,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp401, Financial Markets Group.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Qian Su & Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Isabel Kit-Ming Yan, 2007. "On the convergence of the Chinese and Hong Kong stock markets: a cointegration analysis of the A and H shares," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(16), pages 1349-1357.
- X. Frank Zhang, 2006. "Information Uncertainty and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 105-137, 02.
- Sun, Qian & Tong, Wilson H. S., 2000. "The effect of market segmentation on stock prices: The China syndrome," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1875-1902, December.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2009.
"Quantile cointegrating regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 248-260, June.
- Andros Gregoriou & Christos Ioannidis & Len Skerratt, 2005. "Information Asymmetry and the Bid-Ask Spread: Evidence From the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(9-10), pages 1801-1826.
- Haiwei Chen & James Chong & Changjiang Lu & Kemin Wang, 2008. "The Effectiveness of Regulatory Policy Changes on the Volatility Dynamics of the Chinese Stock Markets," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(2), pages 5-23, March.
- Billy S.C. Mak & Asta M.S. Ngai, 2005. "Market Linkage for Dual-Listed Chinese Stocks," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(2), pages 88-107, March.
- Fernandes, Nuno, 2009. "Market liberalizations at the firm level: Spillovers fromADRs and implications for local markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 293-321, March.
- Kalok Chan & Albert J. Menkveld & Zhishu Yang, 2008.
"Information Asymmetry and Asset Prices: Evidence from the China Foreign Share Discount,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(1), pages 159-196, 02.
- Chan, Kalok & Menkveld, Albert J. & Yang, Zhishu, 2006. "Information Asymmetry and Asset Prices: Evidence from the China Foreign share discount," Serie Research Memoranda 0005, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Girardin, Eric & Liu, Zhenya, 2007.
"The financial integration of China: New evidence on temporally aggregated data for the A-share market,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 354-371.
- Eric Girardin & Zhenya Liu, 2007. "The financial integration of China: New evidence on temporally aggregated data for the A-share market," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 160, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Su, Qian & Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2007. "Determining the contributions to price discovery for Chinese cross-listed stocks," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 140-153, April.
- Chandar, Nandini & Patro, Dilip K. & Yezegel, Ari, 2009. "Crises, contagion and cross-listings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1709-1729, September.
- Sergio L. Schmukler & Stijn Claessens, 2007. "International Financial Integration Through Equity Markets," IMF Working Papers 07/138, International Monetary Fund.
- Péter Kondor, 2009. "Risk in Dynamic Arbitrage: The Price Effects of Convergence Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(2), pages 631-655, 04.
- Ka-Fai Li & Cho-Hoi Hui & Tsz-Kin Chung, 2012. "Determinants and Dynamics of Price Disparity in Onshore and Offshore Renminbi Forward Exchange Rate Markets," Working Papers 242012, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Chang, Eric C. & Luo, Yan & Ren, Jinjuan, 2013. "Cross-listing and pricing efficiency: The informational and anchoring role played by the reference price," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4449-4464.
- Tsz-Kin Chung & Ka-Fai Li & Cho-Hoi Hui, 2011.
"Explaining Share Price Disparity with Parameter Uncertainty: Evidence from Chinese A- and H-Shares,"
332011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Chung, Tsz-Kin & Hui, Cho-Hoi & Li, Ka-Fai, 2013. "Explaining share price disparity with parameter uncertainty: Evidence from Chinese A- and H-shares," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1073-1083.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.