Arbitrage and the Law of One Price in the market for American depository receipts
AbstractOurs is the first paper to highlight pairs trading as the main price-correcting mechanism by which arbitrage can maintain stock–ADR parity. We show that arbitraging stock–ADR pairs extracts small per-trade profits which accumulate to a substantial aggregate return. The observed strong tendency of pricing disequilibria to mean-revert, along with the two-way convertibility between stocks and ADRs, mean that arbitrageurs face minimal risks toward price divergence. They do, however, face uncertainty about the duration of individual trades. The magnitude of this uncertainty relates directly to the profit target arbitrageurs set after a long/short position is established. This fact can explain why some disequilibria go unexploited. Overall, our work provides evidence against automatically efficient prices, and supports the view that mispricings incentivize arbitrageurs to enforce market efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
American depository receipts; ADR; Arbitrage; Law of One Price; Pairs trading;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendershott, Terrence & Jones, Charles M. & Menkveld, Albert J., 2008.
"Does algorithmic trading improve liquidity?,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/41, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Deokwoo Nam, 2011. "The Roles of Nominal Exchange Rate and Relative Price Adjustments in PPP Reversion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(4), pages 775-785, 06.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1908, David K. Levine.
- Pontiff, Jeffrey, 2006. "Costly arbitrage and the myth of idiosyncratic risk," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 35-52, October.
- Schnatz, Bernd & Osbat, Chiara & Rüffer, Rasmus, 2003. "The rise of the yen vis--vis the ("synthetic") euro: is it supported by economic fundamentals?," Working Paper Series 0224, European Central Bank.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2011. "Recent trends in trading activity and market quality," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 243-263, August.
- Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1996. "Costly Arbitrage: Evidence from Closed-End Funds," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1135-51, November.
- Gagnon, Louis & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2004.
"Multi-market Trading and Arbitrage,"
Working Paper Series
2004-9, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Grossmann, Axel & Ozuna, Teofilo & Simpson, Marc W., 2007. "ADR mispricing: Do costly arbitrage and consumer sentiment explain the price deviation?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 361-371, October.
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005.
"Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005. "Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- William Goetzmann & Evan g. Gatev & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998.
"Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm3, Yale School of Management.
- Evan Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2006. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative-Value Arbitrage Rule," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 797-827.
- William N. Goetzmann & Evan Geov Gatev & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm109, Yale School of Management.
- Evan Gatev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1998. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm26, Yale School of Management.
- Evan G. Galev & William N. Goetzmann & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 1999. "Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule," NBER Working Papers 7032, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain Chaboud & Benjamin Chiquoine & Erik Hjalmarsson & Clara Vega, 2009. "Rise of the machines: algorithmic trading in the foreign exchange market," International Finance Discussion Papers 980, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Information and Competitive Price Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 246-53, May.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"The Limits of Arbitrage,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai & Michael Bergman, 2003.
"Dissecting the PPP Puzzle: The Unconventional Roles of Nominal Exchange Rate and Price Adjustments,"
102003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S. & Bergman, Michael, 2004. "Dissecting the PPP puzzle: the unconventional roles of nominal exchange rate and price adjustments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 135-150, October.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai & Michael Bergman, 2003. "Dissecting the PPP Puzzle: The Unconventional Roles of Nominal Exchange Rate and Price Adjustment," CESifo Working Paper Series 924, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Werner, Ingrid M & Kleidon, Allan W, 1996. "U.K. and U.S. Trading of British Cross-Listed Stocks: An Intraday Analysis of Market Integration," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 619-64.
- Suarez, E. Dante, 2005. "Arbitrage opportunities in the depositary receipts market: Myth or reality?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 469-480, December.
- Astorga, Pablo, 2012. "Mean reversion in long-horizon real exchange rates: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1529-1550.
- Schultz, Paul & Shive, Sophie, 2010. "Mispricing of dual-class shares: Profit opportunities, arbitrage, and trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 524-549, December.
- Chen, Jun & Tse, Yiuman & Williams, Michael, 2009. "Trading location and equity returns: Evidence from US trading of British cross-listed firms," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 729-741, December.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Dilip Abreu & Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2003.
"Bubbles and Crashes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 173-204, January.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Brooks,Chris, 2008. "Introductory Econometrics for Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521694681, October.
- Péter Kondor, 2009. "Risk in Dynamic Arbitrage: The Price Effects of Convergence Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(2), pages 631-655, 04.
- Rabinovitch, Ramon & Silva, Ana Cristina & Susmel, Raul, 2003. "Returns on ADRs and arbitrage in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 225-247, September.
- Abe De Jong & Leonard Rosenthal & Mathijs A. Van Dijk, 2009. "The Risk and Return of Arbitrage in Dual-Listed Companies," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(3), pages 495-520.
- Cheol S. Eun & Sanjiv Sabherwal, 2003. "Cross-Border Listings and Price Discovery: Evidence from U.S.-Listed Canadian Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 549-576, 04.
- Abreu, Dilip & Brunnermeier, Markus K., 2002. "Synchronization risk and delayed arbitrage," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 341-360.
- John Puthenpurackal, 2006. "Explaining Premiums in Restricted DR Markets and Their Implications: The Case of Infosys," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 35(2), Summer.
- Fabio Pizzutilo, 2013. "A Note on the Effectiveness of Pairs Trading For Individual Investors," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 763-771.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.