Economic linkages across commodity futures: Hedging and trading implications
AbstractWe investigate cross-market trading dynamics in futures contracts written on seemingly unrelated commodities that are consumed by a common industry. On the Tokyo Commodity Exchange, we find such evidence in natural rubber (NR), palladium (PA) and gasoline (GA) futures markets. The automobile industry is responsible for more than 50% of global demand for each of these commodities. VAR estimation reveals short-run cross-market interaction between NR and GA, and from NR to PA. Cross-market influence exerted by PA is felt in longer dynamics, with PA volatility (volume) affecting NR (GA) volume (volatility). Our findings are robust to lag-specification, volatility measure, and consistent with full BEKK-GARCH estimation results. Further analysis, which benchmarks against silver futures market, TOCOM index and TOPIX transportation index, confirms that our results are driven by a common industry exposure, and not a commodity market factor. A simple trading rule that incorporates short-run GA and long-run PA dynamics to predict NR return yields positive economic profit. Our study offers new insights into how commodity and equity markets relate at an industry level, and implications for multi-commodity hedging.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Volatility Volume Cross-market Trading dynamics VAR Commodity futures;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Chunchi & Xu, Xiaoqing Eleanor, 2000. " Return Volatility, Trading Imbalance and the Information Content of Volume," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 131-53, March.
- G. William Schwert, 1990.
"Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change Over Time?,"
NBER Working Papers
2798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William, 1989. " Why Does Stock Market Volatility Change over Time?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1115-53, December.
- Wang, Jiang, 1994. "A Model of Competitive Stock Trading Volume," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 127-68, February.
- Kewei Hou, 2007. "Industry Information Diffusion and the Lead-lag Effect in Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1113-1138.
- Angelos Kanas, 2002. "Mean and Variance Causality between Official and Parallel Currency Markets: Evidence from Four Latin American Countries," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 137-163, 05.
- Geman, Hélyette & Kharoubi, Cécile, 2008. "WTI crude oil Futures in portfolio diversification: The time-to-maturity effect," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2553-2559, December.
- Alizadeh, Amir H. & Nomikos, Nikos K. & Pouliasis, Panos K., 2008. "A Markov regime switching approach for hedging energy commodities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1970-1983, September.
- Driesprong, Gerben & Jacobsen, Ben & Maat, Benjamin, 2008. "Striking oil: Another puzzle?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 307-327, August.
- Gannon, G.L., 1994. "Simultaneous Volatility Effects in Index Futures," Papers 94-1, Melbourne - Centre in Finance.
- Hong, Harrison & Torous, Walter & Valkanov, Rossen, 2007. "Do industries lead stock markets?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 367-396, February.
- Parkinson, Michael, 1980. "The Extreme Value Method for Estimating the Variance of the Rate of Return," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 61-65, January.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Mark Grinblatt, 1999.
"Do Industries Explain Momentum?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1249-1290, 08.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Mark Grinblatt, . "Do Industries Explain Momentum?," CRSP working papers 352, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Mark Grinblatt, . "Do Industries Explain Momentum?," CRSP working papers 480, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Maxime Charlebois & Stephen Sapp, 2007. "Temporal Patterns in Foreign Exchange Returns and Options," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 443-470, 03.
- Hauser, Shmuel & Tanchuma, Yael & Yaari, Uzi, 1998. "International Transfer of Pricing Information between Dually Listed Stocks," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(2), pages 139-57, Summer.
- Miffre, Joelle & Rallis, Georgios, 2007. "Momentum strategies in commodity futures markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1863-1886, June.
- Neeltje van Horen & Henk Jager & Franc Klaassen, 2006. "Foreign Exchange Market Contagion in the Asian Crisis: A Regression-Based Approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(2), pages 374-401, July.
- Lauren Cohen & Andrea Frazzini, 2008. "Economic Links and Predictable Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1977-2011, 08.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Chiang, Raymond & Fong, Wai-Ming, 2001. "Relative informational efficiency of cash, futures, and options markets: The case of an emerging market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 355-375, February.
- Marshall, Ben R. & Cahan, Rochester H. & Cahan, Jared M., 2008. "Can commodity futures be profitably traded with quantitative market timing strategies?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1810-1819, September.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. "The Effect of Public Information and Competition on Trading Volume and Price Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 23-56.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Sheng-Yung Yang & Shuh-Chyi Doong, 2004. "Price and Volatility Spillovers between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Empirical Evidence from the G-7 Countries," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(2), pages 139-153, August.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Seguin, Paul J., 1993. "Price Volatility, Trading Volume, and Market Depth: Evidence from Futures Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 21-39, March.
- Caramazza, Francesco & Ricci, Luca & Salgado, Ranil, 2004. "International financial contagion in currency crises," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 51-70, February.
- Chevallier, Julien & Aboura, Sofiane, 2014.
"Volatility equicorrelation: A cross-market perspective,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/12323, Paris Dauphine University.
- Aboura, Sofiane & Chevallier, Julien, 2014. "Volatility equicorrelation: A cross-market perspective," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 289-295.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Malik, Farooq & McAleer, Michael, 2011.
"Risk management of precious metals,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 435-441.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," Working Papers in Economics 10/37, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Hammoudeh, S.M. & Malik, F. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Risk management of precious metals," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-48, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," KIER Working Papers 765, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Sinha, Pankaj & Mathur, Kritika, 2013. "International Linkages of Agri-Processed and Energy commodities traded in India," MPRA Paper 50214, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Sep 2013.
- Daskalaki, Charoula & Skiadopoulos, George, 2011. "Should investors include commodities in their portfolios after all? New evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2606-2626, October.
- Batten, Jonathan A. & Ciner, Cetin & Lucey, Brian M., 2010.
"The macroeconomic determinants of volatility in precious metals markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 65-71, June.
- Jonathan A. Batten, Cetin Ciner and Brian M. Lucey, 2008. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Volatility in Precious Metals Markets," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp255, IIIS.
- Difang Wan & Yang Yang & Dong Fang & Guang Yang, 2010. "Research on the margin of futures markets and the policy spillover effect," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 34-56, December.
- Castro, F. & Gago, J. & Hartillo, I. & Puerto, J. & Ucha, J.M., 2011. "An algebraic approach to integer portfolio problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 647-659, May.
- Szakmary, Andrew C. & Shen, Qian & Sharma, Subhash C., 2010. "Trend-following trading strategies in commodity futures: A re-examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 409-426, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.