A Further Analysis of the Lead-Lag Relationship between the Cash Market and Stock Index Futures Market
AbstractThe intraday lead-lag relation between returns of the Major Market cash index and returns of the Major Market Index futures and S&P 500 futures is investigated. Empirical results show strong evidence that the futures leads the cash index and weak evidence that the cash index leads the futures. The asymmetric lead-lag relation holds between the futures and all component stocks, including those that trade in almost every five-minute interval. Evidence indicates that when more stocks move together (market-wide information) the futures leads the cash index to a greater degree. This suggests that the futures market is the main source of market-wide information. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 5 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Cheong, Chongcheul & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2013. "Intraday volatility spillovers between spot and futures indices: Evidence from the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(8), pages 1795-1802.
- Ah-Boon Sim & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2001. "Optimal hedge ratios and alternative hedging strategies in the presence of cointegrated time-varying risks," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 269-283.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert Whitelaw, 1999. "Behavioralize This! International Evidence on Autocorrelation Patterns of Stock Index and Futures Returns," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-040, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gerard L. Gannon, 2009. "Dispersion of Information or Market Behaviour: General Public Trading in S&P500 Index Futures," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2009_01, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Асатуров К.Г. & Теплова Т.В., 2014. "Построение Коэффициентов Хеджирования Для Высоколиквидных Акций Российского Рынка На Основе Моделей Класс�," Журнал Экономика и математические методы (ЭММ), Центральный Экономико-Математический Институт (ЦЭМИ), vol. 50(1), pages 37-54, ÑÐ½Ð²Ð°Ñ.
- Hodgson, Allan & Masih, A. Mansur M. & Masih, Rumi, 2006. "Futures trading volume as a determinant of prices in different momentum phases," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 68-85.
- Yi-Tsung Lee & Wei-Shao Wu & Yun Yang, 2013. "Informed Futures Trading and Price Discovery: Evidence from Taiwan Futures and Stock Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 219-242, September.
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 1999. "Behavioralize This! International Evidence on Autocorrelation Patterns of Stock Index and Futures Returns," NBER Working Papers 7214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yang Hou & Steven Li, 2013. "Price Discovery in Chinese Stock Index Futures Market: New Evidence Based on Intraday Data," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 49-70, March.
- P., Srinivasan, 2011. "Price Discovery and Volatility Spillovers in Indian Spot-Futures Commodity Market," MPRA Paper 47412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Jun Sik & Ryu, Doojin, 2014. "Intraday price dynamics in spot and derivatives markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 394(C), pages 247-253.
- Ángel Pardo & Francisco Climent, 2000. "Relaciones temporales entre el contrato de futuro sobre IBEX-35 y su activo subyacente," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(1), pages 219-236, January.
- Wen-Hsiu Kuo & Shih-Ju Chan, 2006. "The Impact of Introduction of QFIIs Trading on the Lead and Volatility Behavior: Evidence for Taiwan Index Futures Market," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(01), pages 25-49.
- D Brookfield & A Azizan, 2006. "Contagion and the Role of Market Development: the Case of the Malaysian Futures Market during the East Asian Crisis of 1997," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 11(2), pages 1-18, September.
- Rafiqul Bhuyan, 2002. "Information, Alternative Markets, and Security Price Processes: A Survey of Literature," Finance 0211002, EconWPA.
- Qiao, Zhuo & Wong, Wing-Keung & Fung, Joseph K.W., 2013. "Stochastic dominance relationships between stock and stock index futures markets: International evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 552-559.
- Säfvenblad, Patrik, 1997. "Lead-Lag Effects When Prices Reveal Cross-Security Information," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 189, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Schultz, Emma & Swieringa, John, 2014. "Catalysts for price discovery in the European Union Emissions Trading System," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 112-122.
- Dimitris Kenourgios, 2005. "Price Discovery In The Athens Derivatives Exchange: Evidence For The Ftse/Ase-20 Futures Market," Finance 0512014, EconWPA.
- Diogo de Prince & Alexandre Monte, 2013. "What market (spot or future) reflects news first? An analysis in the frequency domain for Brazilian stock market," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1780-1787.
- Geoffrey Booth, G. & Chowdhury, Mustafa & Martikainen, Teppo, 1996. "Common volatility in major stock index futures markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 623-630, December.
- Ming-Shiun Pan & L. Hsueh, 1998. "Transmission of Stock Returns and Volatility between the U.S. and Japan: Evidence from the Stock Index Futures Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 211-225, November.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Kizys, Renatas & Floros, Christos, 2014. "Dynamic Spillover Effects in Futures Markets," MPRA Paper 53876, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Chung & Bryan Campbell & Scott Hendry, 2007. "Price Discovery in Canadian Government Bond Futures and Spot Markets," Working Papers 07-4, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.