Negotiating remedies: Revealing the merger efficiency gains
AbstractThis paper contributes to the economic analysis of merger control by taking into account the efficiency gains for the design of structural merger remedies when the competition authorities do not observe the magnitude of efficiency gains. We show that whenever divestitures are necessary, the Competition Authority will need to extract from the merging partners their private information on the merger's efficiency gains. For this we propose a revelation mechanism combining divestitures with two additional tools, the regulation of the divestitures sale price and a merger fee. We show that an optimal combination of both instruments is effective: the most efficient merged firms are to pay a merger fee while the less efficient divest assets at an upwards distorted sale price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 27 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Merger control Structural merger remedies Asymmetric information;
Other versions of this item:
- Cosnita, A. & Tropeano, J.P., 2008. "Negotiating remedies : revealing the merger efficiency gains," Working Papers 200803, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Andrea Cosnita & Jean-Philippe Tropeano, 2005. "Negotiating remedies : revealing the merger efficiency gains," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v05047, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised Apr 2006.
- Andreea Cosnita & Jean-Philippe Tropeano, 2005. "Negotiating remedies : revealing the merger efficiency gains," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00194906, HAL.
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damien J. NEVEN & Lars-Hendrik RÖLLER, 2000.
"Consumer Surplus vs. Welfare Standard in a Political Economy Model of Merger Control,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
00.24, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, Damien J. & Roller, Lars-Hendrik, 2005. "Consumer surplus vs. welfare standard in a political economy model of merger control," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 829-848, December.
- Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2000. "Consumer Surplus vs. Welfare Standard in a Political Economy Model of Merger Control," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-15, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Neven, Damien J & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2000. "Consumer Surplus vs. Welfare Standard in a Political Economy Model of Merger Control," CEPR Discussion Papers 2620, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Johan Stennek & Frank Verboven, 2000.
"Efficiency Gains from Mergers,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 00-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Luis Corchón, 2000.
"- To Merge Or Not To Merge: That Is The Question,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2000-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Corchón, Luis C. & Faulí-Oller, Ramón, . "To merge or not to merge: That is the question," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3807, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Corchon, Luis & Faulí-Oller, Ramon, 1999. "To Merge or Not To Merge: That is the Question," CEPR Discussion Papers 2190, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Faulí-Oller, Ramón & Corchón, Luis C., . "To Merge or not to Merge: That is the question," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3597, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Besanko, David & Spulber, Daniel F, 1993. "Contested Mergers and Equilibrium Antitrust Policy," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 1-29, April.
- Bensaid, Bernard & Encaoua, David & Winckler, Antoine, 1994. "Competition, cooperation and mergers: Economic and policy issues," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 637-650, April.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Stennek, Johan, 2005. "Hold-up of anti-competitive mergers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 753-775, December.
- Ormosi, Peter L., 2012. "Claim efficiencies or offer remedies? An analysis of litigation strategies in EC mergers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 578-592.
- Ormosi, Peter L., 2012. "Tactical dilatory practice in litigation: Evidence from EC merger proceedings," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 370-377.
- Stephen Davies & Matthew Olczak, 2010. "Assessing the Efficacy of Structural Merger Remedies: Choosing Between Theories of Harm?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 83-99, September.
- Bougette, Patrice, 2010. "Preventing merger unilateral effects: A Nash-Cournot approach to asset divestitures," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 162-174, September.
- Patrice Bougette, 2011. "Négociation d'engagements en matière de concentrations : une perspective d'économiste," Post-Print halshs-00580669, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.