Asset Ownership and Market Structure in Oligopoly
AbstractWe study the effects of changes in the ownership or productive assets in a concentrated industry. Using a Cournot model, we analyze (1) investment by an oligopolist, (2) the sale of capital goods by one oligopolist to another, and (3) stock market purchases, whereby one firm acquires a partial interest in a rival firm. In each case, we determine how the change in asset ownership affects price, profits, industry performance, and measured concentration. We identify those industry conditions and asset transactions for which equilibrium increases in concentration reliably indicate worsened industry performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Matthew J. Clayton & Bjorn N. Jorgensen, 1999.
"Cross Holding and Imperfect Product Markets,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-058, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Matthew J. Clayton & Bjorn N. Jorgensen, 1998. "Cross Holding and Imperfect Product Markets," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-020, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Laurent Linnemer, 2002.
"When Backward Integration by a Dominant Firm Improves Welfare,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
740, CESifo Group Munich.
- Laurent Linnemer, 2000. "When Backward Integration by a Dominant Firm Improves Welfare," Working Papers 2000-42, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Richards, Timothy J. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2009. "How Does Advertising Affect Market Performance? The Case of Generic Advertising," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49187, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2008.
"Entrepreneurial Innovations, Competition and Competition Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2012. "Entrepreneurial innovations, competition and competition policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 488-506.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2006. "Entrepreneurial Innovations, Competition and Competition Policy," Working Paper Series 670, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 05 May 2010.
- Keith Waehrer & Martin Perry, 2002.
"The Effects of Mergers in Open Auction Markets,"
Departmental Working Papers
200203, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Jay Pil Choi, 2006. "How Reasonable is the ‘Reasonable’ Royalty Rate? Damage Rules and Probabilistic Intellectual Property Rights," CESifo Working Paper Series 1778, CESifo Group Munich.
- Verboven, Frank, 1995. "Corporate restructuring in a collusive oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 335-354, September.
- Joseph Farrell & Carl Shapiro, 2008.
"How Strong Are Weak Patents?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1347-69, September.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 1999.
"Cost Manipulation Games in Oligopoly, with Costs of Manipulating,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Long, Ngo Van & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2001. "Cost Manipulation Games in Oligopoly, with Costs of Manipulating," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(2), pages 505-33, May.
- Sue Mialon, 2005.
"Efficient Horizontal Mergers: The Effects of Internal Capital Reallocation and Organizational Form,"
0522, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Mialon, Sue H., 2008. "Efficient horizontal mergers: The effects of internal capital reallocation and organizational form," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 861-877, July.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz & María Luz Campo, 2010. "Wage bargaining and partial ownership," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 37(1 Year 20), pages 27-42, June.
- Arghya Ghosh & Hodaka Morita, 2012. "Knowledge Transfer and Partial Equity Ownership," Discussion Papers 2012-18, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Zhang, Vanessa Yanhua, 2008. "A Case for Affirmative Action in Competition Policy," MPRA Paper 9700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.