Delivered versus mill nonlinear pricing with endogenous market structure
AbstractThis paper discusses a model where consumers differ according to one unobservable (preference for quality) and one observable characteristic (location), with nonlinear prices arising in equilibrium. The main question addressed is whether firms should be allowed to practice different nonlinear prices at each location (delivered nonlinear pricing) or should be forced to set a unique nonlinear contract (mill nonlinear pricing). Assuming that firms can costless relocate, we show that the free entry long-run number of firms may be smaller, equal, or higher under delivered nonlinear pricing. Moreover, delivered nonlinear pricing yields higher long-run welfare when (i) fixed costs are low and when (ii) fixed costs are intermediate and consumer types are not very similar.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 26 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Vives, Xavier, 1988.
"On the Strategic Choice of Spatial Price Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 122-37, March.
- THISSE, Jacques-François & VIVES, Xavier, . "On the strategic choice of spatial price policy," CORE Discussion Papers RP -793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thisse, J.-F. & Vives, X., 1987. "On the strategic choice of spatial price policy," CORE Discussion Papers 1987008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- Michael Peters, 1999.
"Common Agency and the Revelation Principle,"
peters-99-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- W. B. MacLeod & G. Norman & J.F. Thisse, 1987.
"Price Discrimination and Equilibrium in Monopolistic Competition,"
701, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacLeod, W.B. & Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., 1988. "Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 429-446.
- Macleod, W.B. & Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., 1985. "Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1985006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Brenkers, Randy & Verboven, Frank, 2002.
"Liberalizing a Distribution System: the European Car Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3622, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Randy Brenkers & Frank Verboven, 2006. "Liberalizing A Distribution System: The European Car Market," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 216-251, 03.
- Brenkers, R & Verboven, Frank, 2002. "Liberalizing a distribution system: The European car market," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/224447, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Sílvia Ferreira Jorge & Cesaltina Pacheco Pires, 2004.
"Delivered versus Mill Nonlinear Pricing in Free Entry Markets,"
- Jorge, Silvia Ferreira & Pires, Cesaltina Pacheco, 2004. "Delivered versus Mill Nonlinear Pricing in Free Entry Markets," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp459, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Sílvia Jorge & Cesaltina Pires, 2004. "Delivered versus Mill Nonlinear Pricing in Free Entry Markets," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 22, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Valletti, Tommaso, 1999.
"Location Choice and Price Discrimination in a Duopoly,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2322, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 2002. "Location choice and price discrimination in a duopoly," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 339-358, May.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Lars A. Stole, 2002.
"Nonlinear Pricing with Random Participation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 277-311.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2002.
"The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1659-1673, July.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2001. "The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games," CESifo Working Paper Series 575, CESifo Group Munich.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas & Udo Schmidt-Mohr, 1999. "Oligopoly with Asymmetric Information: Differentiation in Credit Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 375-396, Autumn.
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, Andre, 1988. "Spatial Price Discrimination with Heterogeneous Products," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 573-92, October.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2001. "Competitive Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 579-605, Winter.
- Norman, George, 1983. "Spatial Pricing with Differentiated Products," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 291-310, May.
- Pires, Cesaltina Pacheco & Sarkar, Soumodip, 2000. "Delivered nonlinear pricing by duopolists," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 429-456, July.
- Stole, Lars A, 1995. "Nonlinear Pricing and Oligopoly," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 529-62, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.