Liberalizing a Distribution System: the European Car Market
AbstractWe quantify the competitive effects of removing vertical restraints, based on the recent proposals to liberalize the selective and exclusive distribution system in the European car market. We estimate a differentiated products demand system for new cars and specify a model of oligopoly pricing under the current distribution regime. We then perform several policy experiments: the creation of international intrabrand competition (cross-border trade) and a possible strengthening of national intrabrand competition. Our approach may also be useful to assess the competitive effects of vertical restraints in other applications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3622.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Randy Brenkers & Frank Verboven, 2006. "Liberalizing A Distribution System: The European Car Market," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 216-251, 03.
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
- L00 - Industrial Organization - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hellerstein, Rebecca & Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2010.
"Outsourcing and Pass-Through,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt8098p5nq, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Jorge, Sílvia Ferreira & Pires, Cesaltina Pacheco, 2008. "Delivered versus mill nonlinear pricing with endogenous market structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 829-845, May.
- Milliou, Chrysovalantou & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 2007. "Upstream horizontal mergers, vertical contracts, and bargaining," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 963-987, October.
- Raphael A. Auer & Thomas Chaney & Philip Sauré, 2012.
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
125, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.