A dynamic model of Bertrand competition with entry
AbstractThis paper analyzes a simple, repeated game of simultaneous entry and pricing. We report a surprising property of the symmetric equilibrium solution: If the number of potential competitors is increased above two, the market breaks down with higher probability, and the competitive outcome becomes less likely. More potential competition lowers welfare - another Bertrand paradox. The model can also be applied to auctions to explore whether a revenue maximizing auctioneer should restrict the number of bidders if bidder participation is costly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Other versions of this item:
- Elmar Wolfstetter & Walter Elberfeld, 1997. "A Dynamic Model of Bertrand Competition with Entry," Microeconomics 9701003, EconWPA.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Sherman & Thomas D. Willett, 1967. "Potential Entrants Discourage Entry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 400.
- Wolfstetter, Elmar, 1996.
" Auctions: An Introduction,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 367-420, December.
- Dasgupta, P. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1988. "Potential competition, actual competition, and economic welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 569-577, March.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions with a stochastic number of bidders," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, October.
- Sharkey, William W. & Sibley, David S., 1993. "A Bertrand model of pricing and entry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 199-206.
- Posner, Richard A, 1975. "The Social Costs of Monopoly and Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 807-27, August.
- Maarten C.W. Janssen & Eric Rasmusen, 1998.
"Bertrand Competition under Uncertainty,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
98-083/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Eric Rasmusen, 1996. "Bertrand Competition Under Uncertainty," Industrial Organization 9607002, EconWPA.
- Maarten Janssen & Eric Rasmusen, 2000. "Bertrand Competition Under Uncertainty," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1309, Econometric Society.
- Maarten Janssen & Eric Rasmusen, 2001. "Bertrand Competition Under Uncertainty," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-117, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Kaplan, Todd & Sela, Aner, 2003. "Auctions with Private Entry Costs," CEPR Discussion Papers 4080, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Kovenock, Dan, 2009.
"The Lifeboat Problem,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7424, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kai A. Konrad & Dan Kovenock, 2011. "The Lifeboat Problem," Working Papers the_lifeboat_problem, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Kovenock, Dan, 2011. "The lifeboat problem," Discussion Papers, Research Professorship & Project "The Future of Fiscal Federalism" SP II 2011-106, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Konrad, Kai A. & Kovenock, Dan, 2012. "The lifeboat problem," Munich Reprints in Economics 13962, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Israel J. Hernández & Elena Huergo Orejas, 2004.
"Entrada y Competencia en los Servicios de Telecomunicaciones,"
Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico
0404, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Israel J. Muñoz & Elena Huergo, 2005. "Entrada y competencia en los servicios de telecomunicaciones," Industrial Organization 0504002, EconWPA.
- Bedri Kamil Onur Tas & Rasim Ozcan & Ilke Onur, 2008.
"Public Procurement Auctions and Competition in Turkey,"
0814, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- İlke Onur & Rasim Özcan & Bedri Taş, 2012. "Public Procurement Auctions and Competition in Turkey," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 207-223, May.
- Thomas, Charles J., 2002. "The effect of asymmetric entry costs on Bertrand competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 589-609, May.
- Toolsema, Linda A., 2007. "Having more potential raiders weakens the takeover threat," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 670-685, April.
- Fan, Cuihong & Wolfstetter, Elmar, 2008.
"Procurement with costly bidding, optimal shortlisting, and rebates,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 327-334, March.
- Fan, Cuihong & Wolfstetter, Elmar G., 2006. "Procurement with Costly Bidding, Optimal Shortlisting, and Rebates," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 166, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Stähler, Frank, 1996. "The market entry paradox," Kiel Working Papers 777, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kofi Nti, 2000. "Potential competition and coordination in a market-entry game," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(2), pages 149-165, June.
- Bertomeu, Jeremy, 2009. "Endogenous shakeouts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 435-440, May.
- Vicki Knoblauch, 2002. "A Comparison of Two-Market Bertrand Duopoly and Two-Market Cournot Duopoly," Working papers 2002-14, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Toolsema, Linda A., 2003. "Having more potential raiders weakens the takeover threat," Research Report 03F16, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.