The characteristics and stock-market performance of international joint ventures located in three host-country groups: An extension and empirical validation
AbstractIn a well-known study of joint venture (JV) characteristics, Beamish (1985) compared the attributes and performance of JVs located in developed and developing countries. This study advances Beamish's (1985) work by circumventing some of its key limitations. It compares the structure and stock-market performance of two-party equity JVs across three host-country groups: (i) developed countries, (ii) newly industrialized countries, and (iii) developing countries (including Emerging markets and transition economies). Based on a cross-sectional sample of nearly 1100 JVs involving American firms and non-American partners, this study finds that JV characteristics diverge as well as converge vis-à-vis three host-country groups. Interestingly—unlike Beamish (1985)—differences in JV configurations across these groups do not result in differences in abnormal returns to American parents. However, some JV characteristics consistently influence firms’ shareholder value (albeit sometimes in opposite directions) whereas the valuation impact of other characteristics depends upon a particular host-country group.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moskalev, Sviatoslav A. & Swensen, R. Bruce, 2007. "Joint ventures around the globe from 1990-2000: Forms, types, industries, countries and ownership patterns," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 29-67.
- Kotabe, Masaaki & Teegen, Hildy & Aulakh, Preet S. & Coutinho de Arruda, Maria Cecilia & Santillán-Salgado, Roberto J. & Greene, Walter, 2000. "Strategic alliances in emerging Latin America: a view from Brazilian, Chilean, and Mexican companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 114-132, July.
- Farok J Contractor, 1990. "Ownership Patterns of U.S. Joint Ventures Abroad and the Liberalization of Foreign Government Regulations in the 1980s: Evidence from the Benchmark Surveys," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 55-73, March.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1989. "Control and Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(2), pages 235-254, June.
- Hanvanich, Sangphet & Çavusgil, S. Tamer, 2001. "Stock market reactions to international joint venture announcement: an event analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-154, April.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982.
"The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1982. "The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Park, Seung Ho & Kim, Dongcheol, 1997. "Market valuation of joint ventures: Joint venture characteristics and wealth gains," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 83-108, March.
- J Michael Geringer, 1991. "Strategic Determinants of Partner Selection Criteria in International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 41-62, March.
- Seung Ho Park & Michael V. Russo, 1996. "When Competition Eclipses Cooperation: An Event History Analysis of Joint Venture Failure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 875-890, June.
- Iavor Marangozov, 2005. "Characteristics of the International Joint Ventures in Bulgaria (1989-2003)," Industrial Organization 0509003, EconWPA.
- Sanjeev Agarwal & Sridhar N Ramaswami, 1992. "Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: Impact of Ownership, Location and Internationalization Factors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Boateng, Agyenim & Glaister, Keith W., 2002. "Performance of international joint ventures: evidence for West Africa," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 523-541, October.
- Sim, A.B & Ali, Yunus, 1998. "Performance of international joint ventures from developing and developed countries: An empirical study in a developing country context," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 357-377, January.
- Meschi, Pierre-Xavier, 2004. "Valuation effect of international joint ventures: does experience matter?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 595-612, October.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Nguyen, Quyen T.K., 2011.
"Emerging country MNEs and the role of home countries: separating fact from irrational expectations,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
021, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Nguyen, Quyen T.K., 2011. "Emerging country MNEs and the role of home countries: separating fact from irrational expectations," MERIT Working Papers 021, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Donald J Lecraw, 1984. "Bargaining Power, Ownership, and Profitability of Transnational Corporations in Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, et al, 1969. "The Adjustment of Stock Prices to New Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Hanvanich, Sangphet & Miller, Stewart R. & Richards, Malika & Cavusgil, S. Tamar, 2003. "An event study of the effects of partner and location cultural differences in joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Hyder, Akmal S., 1999. "Differences between developed and developing country joint ventures -- a reality or a myth?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 441-461, August.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Robert N Mefford, 1986. "Determinants of Productivity Differences in International Manufacturing," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(1), pages 63-82, March.
- Hanvanich, Sangphet & Richards, Malika & Miller, Stewart R. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2005. "Technology and the effects of cultural differences and task relatedness: A study of shareholder value creation in domestic and international joint ventures," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 397-414, August.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1969. "Risk, The Pricing of Capital Assets, and the Evaluation of Investment Portfolios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 167-247, April.
- Franklin Allen, 1993. "Strategic Management and Financial Markets," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2007. "Determining international strategic alliance performance: A multidimensional approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 337-361, June.
- Pierre Dussauge & Bernard Garrette, 1995. "Determinants of Success in International Strategic Alliances: Evidence from the Global Aerospace Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 505-530, September.
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Dunning, John H & Rugman, Alan M, 1985. "The Influence of Hymer's Dissertation on the Theory of Foreign Direct Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 228-32, May.
- Acquaah, Moses, 2009. "International joint venture partner origin, strategic choice, and performance: A comparative analysis in an emerging economy in Africa," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 46-60, March.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Mirza, Hafiz, 2000. "Factors affecting international joint venture success: an empirical analysis of foreign-local partner relationships and performance in joint ventures in Turkey," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.