Pumped storage and cost saving
AbstractThe pump storage technique allows the use of cheap thermal electricity at periods of low demand to restore water resources that can be used to generate electricity at periods of peak demand. When the thermal plant and the hydro plant are managed by the same operator, the two plants are used in an efficient way to substitute low cost fuel for high cost fuel. The paper first analyzes the efficient use of the technology when the outputs at each period are given. We determine the frontier between the storage and no-storage solutions and its sensibility to cost variations. We then determine the optimal dispatch given the intertemporal preferences of electricity consumers. The model gives emphasis to the economic driver of the technology that is the net social gain from transferring social surplus from off peak to peak period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Water resource Pumping Hydroelectricity Cost saving;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Horsley & Andrew J. Wrobel, 2000.
"Efficiency rents of pumped-storage plants and their uses for operation and investment decisions,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19336, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Horsley, Anthony & Wrobel, Andrew J., 2002. "Efficiency rents of pumped-storage plants and their uses for operation and investment decisions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 109-142, November.
- Anthony Horsley & Andrew J Wrobel, 2000. "Efficiency Rents of Pumped-Storage Plants and their Uses for Operation and Investment Decisions," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 405, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Severin Borenstein & Stephen P. Holland, 2003.
"On the Efficiency of Competitive Electricity Markets With Time-Invariant Retail Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Severin Borenstein & Stephen Holland, 2005. "On the Efficiency of Competitive Electricity Markets with Time-Invariant Retail Prices," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(3), pages 469-493, Autumn.
- Brian K. Edwards & Silvio J. Flaim & Richard E. Howitt, 1999. "Optimal Provision of Hydroelectric Power under Environmental and Regulatory Constraints," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(2), pages 267-283.
- Joskow, Paul L & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"Reliability and Competitive Electricity Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joskow, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2004. "Reliability and Competitive Electricity Markets," IDEI Working Papers 310, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Reliability and Competitive Electricity Markets," Working Papers 0408, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Joskow, P. & Tirole, J., 2004. "Reliability and Competitive Electricity Markets," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0450, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Paul L. Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Reliability and Competitive Electricity Markets," NBER Working Papers 10472, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1957. "Water Storage Policy in a Simplified Hydroelectric System," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 26, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Horsley, Anthony & Wrobel, Andrew J., 2007. "Profit-maximizing operation and valuation of hydroelectric plant: A new solution to the Koopmans problem," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 938-970, March.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001. "Water resource and power generation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May.
- Muche, Thomas, 2014. "Optimal operation and forecasting policy for pump storage plants in day-ahead markets," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 1089-1099.
- Loisel, Rodica & Mercier, Arnaud & Gatzen, Christoph & Elms, Nick & Petric, Hrvoje, 2010. "Valuation framework for large scale electricity storage in a case with wind curtailment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7323-7337, November.
- Nyamdash, Batsaikhan & Denny, Eleanor, 2011.
"The impact of electricity storage on wholesale electricity prices,"
34941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nyamdash, Batsaikhan & Denny, Eleanor, 2013. "The impact of electricity storage on wholesale electricity prices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 6-16.
- Ming, Zeng & Junjie, Feng & Song, Xue & Zhijie, Wang & Xiaoli, Zhu & Yuejin, Wang, 2013. "Development of China's pumped storage plant and related policy analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 104-113.
- Steffen, Bjarne & Weber, Christoph, 2013.
"Efficient storage capacity in power systems with thermal and renewable generation,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 556-567.
- Bjarne Steffen & Christoph Weber, 2011. "Efficient storage capacity in power systems with thermal and renewable generation," EWL Working Papers 1104, University of Duisburg-Essen, Chair for Management Science and Energy Economics, revised Aug 2011.
- Durmaz, Tunc, 2014. "Energy Storage and Renewable Energy," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 18/2014, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Nyamdash, Batsaikhan & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2010. "The viability of balancing wind generation with large scale energy storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7200-7208, November.
- Ambec, Stefan & Crampes, Claude, 2012. "Electricity provision with intermittent sources of energy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 319-336.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.