Time-consistent protection with learning by doing
AbstractThis paper studies whether it is possible to characterize an optimal, time-consistent tariff to protect an infant-industry in the presence of learning effects. A domestic monopolist decides how much to produce, taking into account learning effects induced by its current production, while the governemnt decides on the level of tariff protection. In order to ensure time consistency and characterize the optimal policy i solve the case where learning leads to lower fixed costs..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 47 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eer
Other versions of this item:
- Miravete, E.J., 1997. "Time-Consistent Protection With Learning by Doing," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 395.97, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Miravete, Eugenio J, 2001. "Time-Consistent Protection with Learning by Doing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M., 1995. "Optimal industrial targeting with unknown learning-by-doing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 275-295, May.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1996. "Uniqueness of Markov-perfect equilibrium in infinite-time affine-quadratic differential games," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 751-765, May.
- Staiger, Robert W & Tabellini, Guido, 1987. "Discretionary Trade Policy and Excessive Protection," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 823-37, December.
- Tornell, Aaron, 1991. "Time Inconsistency of Protectionist Programs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 963-74, August.
- Miravete, E.J., 1997.
"Time-Consistent Protection With Learning by Doing,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
395.97, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Pearce, David & Stacchetti, Ennio, 1997. "Time Consistent Taxation by a Government with Redistributive Goals," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 282-305, February.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz & Ohno, Yuka, 1999. "Credibility of Protection and Incentives to Innovate," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 143-63, February.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991.
"Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1989. "Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration," NBER Working Papers 2869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1997. "Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt712610vq, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld and ., 1997. "Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C97-085, University of California at Berkeley.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1990.
"Perfect Equilibria in a Trade Liberalization Game,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 480-92, June.
- Cohen, Daniel & Michel, Philippe, 1988. "How Should Control Theory Be Used to Calculate a Time-Consistent Government Policy?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 263-74, April.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Kamien, Morton I, 1987. "Dynamic Duopolistic Competition with Sticky Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1151-64, September.
- Reynolds, Stanley S, 1987. "Capacity Investment, Preemption and Commitment in an Infinite Horizon Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 69-88, February.
- Lockwood, Ben & Philippopoulos, Apostolis, 1994. "Insider Power, Unemployment Dynamics and Multiple Inflation Equilibria," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(241), pages 59-77, February.
- Gruenspecht, Howard K., 1988. "Dumping and dynamic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 225-248, November.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1999. "Learning by Doing, Precommitment and Infant-Industry Promotion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(2), pages 447-74, April.
- Miyagiwa, K. & Ohno, Y., 1993.
"Closing the Technology Gap Under Protection,"
93-09, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Miyagiwa, K. & Ohno, Y., 1993. "Closing the Technology Gap Under Protection," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 93-09, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Reynolds, Stanley S., 1991. "Dynamic oligopoly with capacity adjustment costs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 491-514, July.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F, 1982. "A Dynamic Game of R and D: Patent Protection and Competitive Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 671-88, May.
- Driskill, Robert A. & McCafferty, Stephen, 1989. "Dynamic duopoly with adjustment costs: A differential game approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 324-338, December.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Lambertini, Luca, 2007.
"Export restraints in a model of trade with capital accumulation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3822-3842, December.
- G. Calzolari & L. Lambertini, 2001. "Export Restraints in a Model of Trade with Capital Accumulation," Working Papers 420, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Delia Ionaºcu & Kresimir Zigic, 2005. "Strategic Tariff Protection, Market Conduct, and Government Commitment Levels in Developing Economies," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp249, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Miravete, Eugenio J, 2001.
"Time-Consistent Protection with Learning by Doing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steffen Jørgensen & Georges Zaccour, 2007. "Developments in differential game theory and numerical methods: economic and management applications," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 159-181, April.
- Saure, Philip, 2007. "Revisiting the infant industry argument," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 104-117, September.
- Makoto Kakinaka & Koji Kotani, 2006. "Promotion of Eco-Products and Environmental Regulation with Learning-by-Doing," Working Papers EMS_2006_07, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Siebert, Ralph Bernd, 2010. "Learning-by-Doing and Cannibalization Effects at Multi-Vintage Firms: Evidence from the Semiconductor Industry," MPRA Paper 24008, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vladimir Petkov, 2007. "Infant Firm Subsidization in Industries with Dynamic Structure," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 73-93, June.
- Jun, Byoung & Vives, Xavier, 2001. "Incentives in Dynamic Duopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 2899, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bläsi, Albrecht & Requate, Till, 2005. "Learning-by-Doing with Spillovers in Competitive Industries, Free Entry, and Regulatory Policy," Economics Working Papers 2005,09, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Dijkstra, Bouwe R., 2007. "An investment contest to influence environmental policy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 300-324, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.