Estimation error and the specification of unobserved component models
AbstractThe paper deals with the problem of identifying stochastic unobserved two-component models, as in seasonal adjustment or trend-cycle decompositions. Solutions based on the properties of the unobserved component estimation error are considered, and analytical expressions for the variances and covariances of the different types of estimation errors (errors in the final, preliminary, and concurrent estimator and in the forecast) are obtained for any admissible decomposition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 92 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Agustín Maravall & Cristophe Planas, 1996. "Estimation Error and the Specification of Unobserved Component Models," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 9608, Banco de Espa�a.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C19 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George E. P. Box & Steven Hillmer & George C. Tiao, 1979.
"Analysis and Modeling of Seasonal Time Series,"
in: Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series, pages 309-346
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1988. "Variable Trends in Economic Time Series," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 147-74, Summer.
- David A. Pierce, 1978. "Seasonal Adjustment When Both Deterministic and Stochastic Seasonality Are Present," NBER Chapters, in: Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series, pages 242-280 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agustín Maravall, 1996. "Unobserved Components in Economic Time Series," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 9609, Banco de Espa�a.
- David A. Pierce, 1978. "Seasonal adjustment when both deterministic and stochastic seasonality are present," Special Studies Papers 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert F. Engle, 1979.
"Estimating Structural Models of Seasonality,"
in: Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series, pages 281-308
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierce, David A., 1980. "Data revisions with moving average seasonal adjustment procedures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 95-114, September.
- Burridge, Peter & Wallis, Kenneth F, 1984. "Calculating the Variance of Seasonally Adjusted Series," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 251, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Bell, William R & Hillmer, Steven C, 1984. "Issues Involved with the Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 291-320, October.
- Maravall, Agustin & Mathis, Alexandre, 1994. "Encompassing univariate models in multivariate time series : A case study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 197-233, April.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 2000. "Notes on Time Series Analysis, ARIMA Models and Signal Extraction," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0012, Banco de Espa�a.
- Laurent Ferrara & Dominique Guégan, 2005.
"Detection of the Industrial Business Cycle using SETAR Models,"
Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis,
OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2005(3), pages 353-371.
- Ferrara, Laurent & Guégan, Dominique, 2005. "Detection of the industrial business cycle using SETAR models," MPRA Paper 4389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dominique Guegan & Laurent Ferrara, 2005. "Detection of the Industrial Business Cycle using SETAR models," Post-Print halshs-00201309, HAL.
- Loayza, Norman & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 2000. "What drives private saving around the world?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2309, The World Bank.
- Kaloyan Ganev, 2004.
"Statistical estimates of the deviations from the macroeconomic potential. An application to the economy of Bulgaria,"
Working paper series
12004en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- Kaloyan Ganev, 2004. "Statistical estimates of the deviations from the macroeconomic potential. An application to the economy of Bulgaria," Macroeconomics 0409010, EconWPA.
- Maravall, Agustin, 2006.
"An application of the TRAMO-SEATS automatic procedure; direct versus indirect adjustment,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2167-2190, May.
- Agustín Maravall, 2005. "An application of the Tramo Seats automatic procedure; direct versus indirect adjustment," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0524, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alessandro Rossi & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2002.
"Volatility Estimation via Hidden Markov Models,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2002_14, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Daragh Clancy, 2013. "Output Gap Estimation Uncertainty: Extracting the TFP Cycle Using an Aggregated PMI Series," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 44(1), pages 1-18.
- Gianluca Caporello & Agustín Maravall & Fernando J. Sánchez, 2001. "Program TSW Reference Manual," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0112, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.