Calculating the Variance of Seasonally Adjusted Series
AbstractThis paper considers the use of the Kalam filter to perform the seasonal adjustment and to calculate the variance of the signal extraction error in model-based seasonal adjustment procedures. The steady-state filter covariance is seen to provide a convenient basis for obtaining the variances not only the current adjustment but also subsequent revisions. The method is applied to the unobserved-components model we have recently proposed as a justification of the X-11 method, and to a real economic time series.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Warwick, Department of Economics in its series The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) with number 251.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1984
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christophe Planas & Alessandro Rossi, 2004. "Can inflation data improve the real-time reliability of output gap estimates?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 121-133.
- Diebold, F.X. & Kilian, L. & Nerlove, Marc, 2006.
"Time Series Analysis,"
28556, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- William P. Cleveland, 2002. "Estimated variance of seasonally adjusted series," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Agustín Maravall & Cristophe Planas, 1996.
"Estimation Error and the Specification of Unobserved Component Models,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
9608, Banco de Espa�a.
- Maravall, Agustin & Planas, Christophe, 1999. "Estimation error and the specification of unobserved component models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 325-353, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.