Economic growth and environmental efficiency: Evidence from US regions
AbstractThis paper proposes a conditional directional distance function estimator in order to examine the link between regional environmental efficiency and GDP per capita levels. As an illustrative example we apply our model to US regional data revealing an inverted ‘U’ shape relationship between regional environmental efficiency and per capita income. The results derived from a non-parametric regression indicate a turning point at 49,000 dollars.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 120 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Regional environmental efficiency; Directional distance function; Conditional measures; US regions;
Other versions of this item:
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Economic growth and environmental efficiency: Evidence from U.S. regions," MPRA Paper 42675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- Q50 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - General
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taskin, Fatma & Zaim, Osman, 2000. "Searching for a Kuznets curve in environmental efficiency using kernel estimation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 217-223, August.
- Managi, Shunsuke, 2006.
"Testing Increasing Returns to Pollution Abatement in Pesticides,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25524, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Managi, Shunsuke, 2006. "Are there increasing returns to pollution abatement? Empirical analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve in pesticides," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 617-636, June.
- Simar, Léopold & Vanhems, Anne, 2010.
"Probabilistic Characterization of Directional Distances and their Robust Versions,"
TSE Working Papers
10-195, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Simar, Léopold & Vanhems, Anne, 2012. "Probabilistic characterization of directional distances and their robust versions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 342-354.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- Peter Hall & Jeff Racine & Qi Li, 2004. "Cross-Validation and the Estimation of Conditional Probability Densities," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1015-1026, December.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Racine, Jeffrey S., 2008. "Nonparametric Econometrics: A Primer," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 3(1), pages 1-88, March.
- Cazals, Catherine & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Simar, Leopold, 2002. "Nonparametric frontier estimation: a robust approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Badin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2010.
"Optimal bandwidth selection for conditional efficiency measures: A data-driven approach,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 633-640, March.
- Luiza Badin & Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2008. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection for Conditional Efficiency Measures: a Data-driven Approach," LEM Papers Series 2008/22, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Podinovski, Victor V. & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2011. "Modelling weak disposability in data envelopment analysis under relaxed convexity assumptions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 577-585, June.
- Jeffrey Racine, 2008. "Nonparametric econometrics: a primer (in Russian)," Quantile, Quantile, issue 4, pages 7-56, March.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," LEM Papers Series 2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kazemi Matin, Reza, 2011. "Duality of weakly disposable technology," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 504-512, October.
- Osman Zaim & Fatma Taskin, 2000. "A Kuznets Curve in Environmental Efficiency: An Application on OECD Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 17(1), pages 21-36, September.
- Halkos, George & Sundström, Aksel & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2013. "Environmental performance and quality of governance: A non-parametric analysis of the NUTS 1-regions in France, Germany and the UK," MPRA Paper 48890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.