Modelling weak disposability in data envelopment analysis under relaxed convexity assumptions
AbstractThe treatment of undesirable (bad) outputs in models of efficiency and productivity analysis often requires replacing the assumption of free disposability of outputs by their weak disposability. In a recent publication the authors showed that the Kuosmanen technology is the only correct representation of the fully convex technology exhibiting weak disposability of bad and good outputs. In this paper we relax the assumption of full convexity and consider two further possibilities: the case in which only the output sets are assumed convex and the case in which no convexity is assumed at all. In the first case we show that, although the traditional Shephard technology of nonparametric production analysis satisfies the assumption of convex output sets, it is larger than necessary. Based on the minimum extrapolation principle, we develop a correct model that is based on the assumed axioms. The second case leads to the development of a weakly disposable analogue of the free disposable hull. To complete our study, we give a full axiomatic definition of the Shephard technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 211 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis Nonparametric productivity analysis Environmental performance Undesirable outputs Non-convex technologies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timo Kuosmanen & Laurens Cherchye & Timo Sipiläinen, 2003.
"The Law of One Price in Data Envelopment Analysis: Restricting Weight Flexibility Across Firms,"
0312006, EconWPA, revised 18 Dec 2003.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens & Sipilainen, Timo, 2006. "The law of one price in data envelopment analysis: Restricting weight flexibility across firms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 735-757, May.
- Lahdelma, Risto & Hakonen, Henri, 2003. "An efficient linear programming algorithm for combined heat and power production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 141-151, July.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Ehrgott, Matthias & Tind, Jørgen, 2009. "Column generation with free replicability in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 943-950, October.
- Podinovski, V. V., 2004. "On the linearisation of reference technologies for testing returns to scale in FDH models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 800-802, February.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Philippe Venden Eeckaut, 2004. "Non-convex Technologies and Cost Functions: Definitions, Duality and Nonparametric Tests of Convexity," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 155-192, 02.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- Scheel, Holger, 2001. "Undesirable outputs in efficiency valuations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 400-410, July.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Peter Bogetoft & Joseph M. Tama & Jørgen Tind, 2000. "Convex Input and Output Projections of Nonconvex Production Possibility Sets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(6), pages 858-869, June.
- Yang, Hongliang & Pollitt, Michael, 2009.
"Incorporating both undesirable outputs and uncontrollable variables into DEA: The performance of Chinese coal-fired power plants,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 197(3), pages 1095-1105, September.
- Yang, H. & Pollitt, M., 2007. "Incorporating Both Undesirable Outputs and Uncontrollable Variables into DEA: the Performance of Chinese Coal-Fired Power Plants," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0733, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1996. "DEA on Relaxed Convexity Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 457-465, March.
- Hasenkamp, Georg, 1976. "A study of multiple-output production functions : Klein's railroad study revisited," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 253-262, August.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2003. "Duality Theory of Non-convex Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 273-304, November.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2001. "DEA with efficiency classification preserving conditional convexity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 326-342, July.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Rong, Aiying & Hakonen, Henri & Lahdelma, Risto, 2006. "An efficient linear model and optimisation algorithm for multi-site combined heat and power production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 612-632, January.
- Podinovski, V. V., 2005. "Selective convexity in DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 552-563, March.
- Dekker, David & Post, Thierry, 2001. "A quasi-concave DEA model with an application for bank branch performance evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 296-311, July.
- Niels Christian Petersen, 1990. "Data Envelopment Analysis on a Relaxed Set of Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 305-314, March.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012.
"Economic growth and environmental efficiency: Evidence from U.S. regions,"
42675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2013. "Economic growth and environmental efficiency: Evidence from US regions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 48-52.
- Bian, Yiwen & He, Ping & Xu, Hao, 2013. "Estimation of potential energy saving and carbon dioxide emission reduction in China based on an extended non-radial DEA approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 962-971.
- Cordero Ferrera, Jose Manuel & Alonso Morán, Edurne & Nuño Solís, Roberto & Orueta, Juan F. & Souto Arce, Regina, 2013. "Efficiency assessment of primary care providers: A conditional nonparametric approach," MPRA Paper 51926, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Wang, H., 2012. "Energy and CO2 emission performance in electricity generation: A non-radial directional distance function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(3), pages 625-635.
- George Halkos & Nickolaos Tzeremes, 2013. "National culture and eco-efficiency: an application of conditional partial nonparametric frontiers," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 15(4), pages 423-441, October.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Goto, Mika, 2012. "Environmental assessment by DEA radial measurement: U.S. coal-fired power plants in ISO (Independent System Operator) and RTO (Regional Transmission Organization)," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 663-676.
- Hervé Leleu, 2013. "Duality of Shephard’s weakly disposable technology under a directional output distance function," Working Papers 2013-ECO-03, IESEG School of Management.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Regional economic growth and environmental efficiency in greenhouse emissions: A conditional directional distance function approach," MPRA Paper 40015, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel & Kortelainen, Mika & Allen, Rachel, 2012. "Improving envelopment in Data Envelopment Analysis under variable returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 175-185.
- Mircea Epure & Esteban Lafuente, 2014.
"Monitoring Bank Performance in the Presence of Risk,"
613, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Mircea Epure & Esteban Lafuente, 2012. "Monitoring bank performance in the presence of risk," Economics Working Papers 1310, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2013.
- Chang, Dong-Shang & Liu, Wenrong & Yeh, Li-Ting, 2013. "Incorporating the learning effect into data envelopment analysis to measure MSW recycling performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 229(2), pages 496-504.
- Halkos, George & Sundström, Aksel & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2013. "Environmental performance and quality of governance: A non-parametric analysis of the NUTS 1-regions in France, Germany and the UK," MPRA Paper 48890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Goto, Mika, 2012. "Data envelopment analysis for environmental assessment: Comparison between public and private ownership in petroleum industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(3), pages 668-678.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.