Convex Input and Output Projections of Nonconvex Production Possibility Sets
AbstractIn this paper we characterize the smallest production possibility set that contains a specified set of (input, output) combinations. In accordance with neoclassical production economics, this possibility set has convex projections into the input and output spaces (convex isoquants), and it satisfies the assumption of free disposability. We obtain it by means of a possibly infinite recursion which builds the possibility set as an ever larger union of convex sets. We remark on the nature of the approximations obtained by truncating the recursion, and we obtain a necessary and sufficient condition, checkable in one iteration for the recursion to stop in the next. For the case in which the recursion stops, we provide a succinct characterization of the dominance relations among the constituent sets produced by the procedure. Finally, we present examples of both finite and infinite cases. The example for the finite case illustrates the construction of the possibility set along with its associated production and consumption sets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
data envelopment analysis; convexity;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ehrgott, Matthias & Tind, Jørgen, 2009. "Column generation with free replicability in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 943-950, October.
- Botti, Laurent & Briec, Walter & Cliquet, Gérard, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems: A DEA approach of hotel chain performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 566-578, June.
- Anne-Kathrin Last & Heike Wetzel, 2009. "Effizienzmessverfahren – eine Einführung," Working Paper Series in Economics 145, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Cherchye, L. & Post, G.T., 2001. "Methodological Advances in Dea," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-53-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Park, K. Sam & Park, Kwangtae, 2009. "Measurement of multiperiod aggregative efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 567-580, March.
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Jørgen Tind, 2008.
"Cost Allocation and Convex Data Envelopment,"
08-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Podinovski, V. V., 2005. "Selective convexity in DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 552-563, March.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Fare, Rolf & Obel, Borge, 2006.
"Allocative efficiency of technically inefficient production units,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 450-462, January.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Fare, Rolf, 1999. "Allocative Efficiency of Technically Inefficient Production Units," Unit of Economics Working papers 24217, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Post, Thierry, 2001. "Estimating non-convex production sets - imposing convex input sets and output sets in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 132-142, May.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2007.
"Conditional nonparametric frontier models for convex and nonconvex technologies: a unifying approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 13-32, October.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2005. "Conditional Nonparametric Frontier Models for Convex and Non Convex Technologies: a Unifying Approach," LEM Papers Series 2005/12, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Podinovski, Victor V. & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2011. "Modelling weak disposability in data envelopment analysis under relaxed convexity assumptions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 577-585, June.
- Agrell, Per J. & Bogetoft, Peter & Tind, Jorgen, 2000. "Polarity in DEA Models," Unit of Economics Working papers 24188, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2001. "DEA with efficiency classification preserving conditional convexity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 326-342, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.