Reconsidering hedonic art price indexes
AbstractArt price indexes typically rely on heavily biased samples for several reasons. A refined hedonic index is developed which explicitly addresses such concerns. An empirical illustration is then provided for Symbolist paintings appearing at auctions between 1990 and 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 104 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Paintings Hedonic price Price index;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst R. Berndt & Neal J. Rappaport, 2001. "Price and Quality of Desktop and Mobile Personal Computers: A Quarter-Century Historical Overview," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 268-273, May.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G. Donald Jud & Terry G. Seaks, 1994. "Sample Selection Bias in Estimating Housing Sales Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(3), pages 289-298.
- Esmeralda Ramalho & Joquim Ramalho, 2014. "Convenient links for the estimation of hedonic price indexes:the case of unique, infrequently traded assets," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2014_01, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Bocart, Fabian Y.R.P. & Hafner, Christian M., 2012.
"Econometric analysis of volatile art markets,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3091-3104.
- Fabian Y. R. P. Bocart & Christian M. Hafner, 2011. "Econometric analysis of volatile art markets," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-071, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- BOCART, Fabian Y. R. P. & HAFNER, Christian, 2011. "Econometric analysis of volatile art markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2011052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Guido Candela & Massimiliano Castellani & Pierpaolo Pattitoni, 2011.
"Tribal Art Market. Signs and Signals,"
Working Paper Series
02_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Feb 2012.
- David, Géraldine & Oosterlinck, Kim & Szafarz, Ariane, 2013.
"Art market inefficiency,"
Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 23-25.
- Geraldine David & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Art Market Inefficiency," Working Papers CEB 13-011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Geraldine David & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Art Market Inefficiency," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/145737, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bocart, Fabian & Oosterlinck, Kim, 2011.
"Discoveries of fakes: Their impact on the art market,"
Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 124-126.
- Fabien Bocart & Kim Oosterlinck, 2011. "Discoveries of fakes: their impact on the art market," Working Papers CEB 11-023, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fabien Bocart & Kim Oosterlinck, 2011. "Discoveries of Fakes: their Impact on the Art Market," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/142704, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Erdos, Péter & Ormos, Mihály, 2010. "Random walk theory and the weak-form efficiency of the US art auction prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1062-1076, May.
- Fabian Y.R.P. Bocart & Christian M. Hafner, 2012. "Volatility of price indices for heterogeneous goods," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Erdős, Péter & Ormos, Mihály, 2012. "Pricing of collectibles: Baedeker guidebooks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1968-1978.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.