Discoveries of fakes: Their impact on the art market
AbstractThis paper shows that before (after) fakes’ discoveries, artworks are less (more) likely to be sold through Sotheby’s or Christie’s. Prices only react negatively with a lag, suggesting that sellers try to postpone their sales as long as possible.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 113 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Art market; Fakes; Hedonic regression; Sotheby’s; Christie’s;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabien Bocart & Kim Oosterlinck, 2011. "Discoveries of fakes: their impact on the art market," Working Papers CEB 11-023, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Z11 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economics of the Arts and Literature
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Ott Toomet & Arne Henningsen, . "Sample Selection Models in R: Package sampleSelection," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i07).
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2009.
"Buying Beauty: On Prices and Returns in the Art Market,"
2009-15, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2009. "Buying Beauty: On Prices and Returns in the Art Market," Discussion Paper 2009-004, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Collins, Alan & Scorcu, Antonello & Zanola, Roberto, 2009. "Reconsidering hedonic art price indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 57-60, August.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Jianping Mei & Michael Moses, 2006. "On the computation of art indices in art," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7290, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the economics of art and culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1673, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- BOCART, Fabian & HAFNER, Christian, 2013.
"Fair re-valuation of wine as an investment,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fabian Y. R. P. Bocart & Christian M. Hafner, 2011.
"Econometric analysis of volatile art markets,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2011-071, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Fabian Y.R.P. Bocart & Christian M. Hafner, 2012. "Volatility of price indices for heterogeneous goods," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.