Efficiency of French privatizations: a dynamic vision
AbstractThe program of French privatizations is one of the principal worldwide programs as for the volume of the equity issues. A reading of the process of privatization through the corporate governance theory resulted in working out a model making it possible to take into account, on the one hand, the time dimension of the process of privatization, on the other hand, the contextual, organizational, governance and strategic variables which influence this process. After having replicated a certain number of traditional tests, we carried out a test of this model on a sample of 19 French privatized firms and on a seven years horizon, which made it possible to obtain the following conclusions. The favorable incidence attributed traditionally to privatizations is not truly confirmed for French privatizations, at least on the horizon considered. Privatization induces a significant positive effect on the performance only for a low number of firms. The importance of the effect, however, is subordinated to some of the suggested variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Corporate Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jcorpfin
Other versions of this item:
- Hervé Alexandre & Gérard Charreaux, 2001. "Efficiency of French Privatizations:A Dynamic Vision," Working Papers FARGO 011001, Université de Bourgogne - Leg (laboratoire d'économie et de gestion)/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance), revised Oct 2001.
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Jones, Steven L. & Megginson, William L. & Nash, Robert C. & Netter, Jeffry M., 1999. "Share issue privatizations as financial means to political and economic ends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 217-253, August.
- Gérard Charreaux, 1997. "L'entreprise publique est-elle nécessairement moins efficace?," Working Papers FARGO 0970901, Université de Bourgogne - Leg (laboratoire d'économie et de gestion)/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Henry-Jean Gathon & Pierre Pestieau, 1996.
"La performance des entreprises publiques. Une question de propriété ou de concurrence ?,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 47(6), pages 1225-1238.
- Henry-Jean Gathon & Pierre Pestieau, 1996. "La performance des entreprises publiques. Une question de propriété ou de concurrence ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1225-1238.
- Saxonhouse, Gary R, 1976. "Estimated Parameters as Dependent Variables," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 178-83, March.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Georges Gallais-Hamonno & Zhiqiang Liu & Randall Lutter, 1994. "Productivity Growth and Firm Ownership: An Analytical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 1006-38, October.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2000. "Privatization and efficiency: differentiating ownership effects from political, organizational, and dynamic effects," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-74, May.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Domenico Siniscalco & Marcella Fantini, 2000. "Privatisation and Institutions: A Cross Country Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wu, De-Min, 1973. "Alternative Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Regressors and Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 733-50, July.
- Michel Albouy & Hassan Obeid, 2007. "L’impact des privatisations sur la performance des entreprises françaises," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 10(1), pages 5-37, March.
- Arocena, Pablo & Oliveros, Diana, 2012. "The efficiency of state-owned and privatized firms: Does ownership make a difference?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 457-465.
- Nihat Aktas & Eric de Bodt & Laurent Liagre, 2006. "Le décollage d'EADS:le point de vue des marchés financiers," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(1), pages 5-34, March.
- Marc Amblard, 2008. "La mesure comptable de la performance financière : évolution des normes, stabilité des principes," Post-Print halshs-00522287, HAL.
- Peter Wirtz, 2004. "The Changing Institutions of Governance in Corporate France:What Drives the Process?," Working Papers FARGO 1040701, Université de Bourgogne - Leg (laboratoire d'économie et de gestion)/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Druk-Gal, Bat-Sheva & Yaari, Varda, 2006. "Incumbent employees' resistance to implementing privatization policy," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 374-405, March.
- Ben Naceur, Samy & Ghazouani, Samir & Omran, Mohammed, 2007. "The performance of newly privatized firms in selected MENA countries: The role of ownership structure, governance and liberalization policies," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 332-353.
- Alpalhão, Rui & Alves, Paulo, 2013. "States as LBO Specialists: evidence from Portugal," MPRA Paper 51433, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Panagiotopoulos, Miltiadis, 2006. "The Reform of Corporate Governance in France," MPRA Paper 4292, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.