Food away from home in Beijing: Effects of wealth, time and "free" meals
AbstractBased on a modified Becker household consumption and production model and newly surveyed data set collected by the authors, this study investigated household expenditure on food away from home (FAFH) and its determinants in Beijing, China. A Box-Cox double-hurdle regression is estimated. The key findings suggest that household expenditure on dining out might be significantly underestimated when using the data most commonly used in food consumption research in China. Excluding hosted meals that are not paid for by individual consumers comprises nearly one half of the underestimation. Meanwhile, this exclusion could bias estimates of income effects on the demand for food away from home.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal China Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 21 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco
Becker's model Box-Cox double-hurdle estimation Chinese food expenditures Food away from home Hosted meal;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arabmazar, Abbas & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "An Investigation of the Robustness of the Tobit Estimator to Non-Normality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1055-63, July.
- Hengyun Ma & Jikun Huang & Frank Fuller & Scott Rozelle, 2006.
"Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 101-119, 03.
- Ma, Hengyun & Huang, Jikun & Fuller, Frank H. & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China," Staff General Research Papers 12499, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helen H. Jensen & Steven T. Yen, 1995.
"U.S. Food Expenditures Away From Home by Type of Meal,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
95-wp143, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Yen, Steven, 1996. "U.S. Food Expenditures Away from Home by Type of Meal," Staff General Research Papers 922, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Min, Insik & Fang, Cheng & Li, Qi, 2004. "Investigation of patterns in food-away-from-home expenditure for China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 457-476.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-21, May.
- Justo Manrique & Helen H. Jensen, 1998.
"Working Women and Expenditures on Food Away-From-Home and At-Home in Spain,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 321-333.
- Manrique, Justo & Jensen, Helen H., 1998. "Working Women and Expenditures on Food Away-From-Home and At-Home in Spain," Staff General Research Papers 1308, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Seval Mutlu & Azucena Gracia, 2006. "Spanish food expenditure away from home (FAFH): by type of meal," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1037-1047.
- Patrick J. Byrne & Oral Capps & Atanu Saha, 1996. "Analysis of Food-Away-from-Home Expenditure Patterns for U.S. Households, 1982–89," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 614-627.
- Curtis, Kynda R. & McCluskey, Jill J. & Wahl, Thomas I., 2007. "Consumer preferences for western-style convenience foods in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-14.
- Brian W. Gould & Hector J. Villarreal, 2006. "An assessment of the current structure of food demand in urban China," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 34(1), pages 1-16, 01.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1996. "Wife'S Labor Force Participation And Family Expenditures For Prepared Food, Food Prepared At Home, And Food Away From Home," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Arabmazar, Abbas & Schmidt, Peter, 1981. "Further evidence on the robustness of the Tobit estimator to heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 253-258, November.
- Gale, H. Frederick, Jr. & Huang, Kuo S., 2007. "Demand For Food Quantity And Quality In China," Economic Research Report 7252, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Disegna, Marta & Scuderi, Raffaele, 2012. "Visitors of two types of museums: do expenditure patterns differ?," MPRA Paper 38841, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yen, Steven T. & Kasteridis, Panagiotis P. & Riley, John B., 2012. "Food Expenditures away from Home by Elderly Households," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124981, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Junfei Bai & Caiping Zhang & Fangbin Qiao & Tom Wahl, 2012. "Disaggregating household expenditures on food away from home in Beijing by type of food facility and type of meal," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 18-35, February.
- Liu, Haiyan & Wahl, Thomas I. & Seale, James L., Jr. & Bai, Junfei, 2012. "Household Composition and Food Away From Home Expenditures in Urban China," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 131057, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.