Leverage and Asset Bubbles: Averting Armageddon with Chapter 11?
AbstractAn iconic model with high leverage and overvalued collateral assets is used to illustrate the amplification mechanism driving asset prices to 'overshoot' equilibrium when an asset bubble bursts - threatening widespread insolvency and what Richard Koo calls a 'balance sheet recession'. Besides interest rates cuts, asset purchases and capital restructuring are key to crisis resolution. The usual bankruptcy procedures for doing this fail to internalise the price effects of asset 'fire-sales' to pay down debts, however. We discuss how official intervention in the form of 'super' Chapter 11 actions can help prevent asset price correction causing widespread economic disruption. Copyright � The Author(s). Journal compilation � Royal Economic Society 2010.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 120 (2010)
Issue (Month): 544 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Miller, Marcus & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 2009. "Leverage and Asset Bubbles: Averting Armageddon with Chapter 11?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7469, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Miller & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2010. "Leverage and Asset Bubbles: Averting Armageddon with Chapter 11?," NBER Working Papers 15817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia & Stephen Millard & Ander Perez, 2008.
"Financial innovation, macroeconomic stability and systemic crises,"
Bank of England working papers
340, Bank of England.
- Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia & Stephen Millard & Ander Perez, 2008. "Financial Innovation, Macroeconomic Stability and Systemic Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(527), pages 401-426, 03.
- Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia & Stephen Millard & Ander Perez, 2006. "Financial innovation, macroeconomic stability and systemic crises," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Edison, Hali J & Luangaram, Pongsak & Miller, Marcus, 2000. "Asset Bubbles, Leverage and 'Lifeboats': Elements of the East Asian Crisis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 309-34, January.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2011.
"L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : le défi de la crise,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
11046, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Thepthida Sopraseuth & Eleni Iliopulos, 2012. "L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : le défi de la crise," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 451(1), pages 91-130.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2012. "L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : Le défi de la crise," Working Papers halshs-00744047, HAL.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2011. "L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : Le défi de la crise," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00613188, HAL.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, . "L’intermédiation financière dans l’analyse macroéconomique : Le défi de la crise," Papers 2012-02, TEPP Working Papers.
- Vranceanu, Radu & Besancenot, Damien, 2011.
"Experimental Evidence on the ‘Insidious’ Illiquidity Risk,"
ESSEC Working Papers
WP1107, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Damien Besancenot & Radu Vranceanu, 2011. "Experimental Evidence on the 'Insidious' Illiquidity Risk," Post-Print hal-00607867, HAL.
- Damien Besancenot & Radu Vranceanu, 2011. "Experimental Evidence On The 'Insidious' Illiquidity Risk," CEPN Working Papers halshs-00602107, HAL.
- Mauricio Arango & Carlos Esteban Posada & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2011. "El sistema crediticio, la política monetaria y un posible origen de ciclos y crisis financieras," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Semmler, Willi & Bernard, Lucas, 2012.
"Boom–bust cycles: Leveraging, complex securities, and asset prices,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 442-465.
- Willi Semmler & Lucas Bernard, 2011. "Boom-Bust Cycles: Leveraging, Complex Securities, and Asset Prices," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_034, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00602107 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirano, Tomohiro & Inaba, Masaru, 2010. "Asset Price Bubbles in the Kiyotaki-Moore Model," MPRA Paper 36632, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:hal:psewpa:halshs-00744047 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.