Asset Bubbles, Leverage and 'Lifeboats': Elements of the East Asian Crisis
AbstractCollapsing credit markets have been blamed for the depth and persistence of the Great Depression in the United States. Could similar mechanisms have played a role in ending the East Asian economic miracle--and in creating fragility in global financial markets? After a brief account of the nature of the East Asian crises of 1997/8, we use the framework of highly-leveraged, fully-collaterised firms due to Kiyotaki and Moore (1997) to explore the impact of a credit crunch. The paper emphasises the fragility of equilibrium and how rapidly boom can turn to bust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 110 (2000)
Issue (Month): 460 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koh, Winston T.H. & Mariano, Roberto S. & Pavlov, Andrey & Phang, Sock Yong & Tan, Augustine H.H. & Wachter, Susan M., 2005. "Bank lending and real estate in Asia: market optimism and asset bubbles," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1103-1118, January.
- Marcus Miller & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2010.
"Leverage and Asset Bubbles: Averting Armageddon with Chapter 11?,"
NBER Working Papers
15817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus Miller & Joseph Stiglitz, 2010. "Leverage and Asset Bubbles: Averting Armageddon with Chapter 11?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(544), pages 500-518, 05.
- Miller, Marcus & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 2009. "Leverage and Asset Bubbles: Averting Armageddon with Chapter 11?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7469, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Agliari, A. & Assenza, T. & Delli Gatti, D. & Santoro, E., 2007.
""Credit Cycle" in an OLG Economy with Money and Bequest,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
07-04, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Agliari Anna & Assenza Tiziana & Delli Gatti Domenico & Santoro Emiliano, 2007. "Credit Cycles in a OLG Economy with Money and Bequest," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 103, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Anna Agliari & Tiziana Assenza & Domenico Delli Gatti & Emiliano Santoro, 2006. "Credit Cycles in a OLG Economy with Money and Bequest," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 369, Society for Computational Economics.
- Challe Edouard & Ragot Xavier, 2011.
"Bubbles and Self-Fulfilling Crises,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, May.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"Global Imbalances and the Financial Crisis: Products of Common Causes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "Global imbalances and the financial crisis: products of common causes," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct, pages 131-172.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Christopher Gust & Jorge Roldos, 2002.
"Monetary Policy in a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
9005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Christopher Gust & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Monetary policy in a financial crisis," Working Paper 0204, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Christopher Gust & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Monetary policy in a financial crisis," Working Paper Series WP-02-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lipsky, John, 2009. "Asia, the financial crisis, and global economic governance - closing remarks," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct, pages 347-353.
- Kenneth Kletzer & Robert Dekle, 2001.
"Domestic Bank Regulation and Financial Crises: Theory and Empirical Evidence from East Asia,"
IMF Working Papers
01/63, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert Dekle & Kenneth Kletzer, 2002. "Domestic Bank Regulation and Financial Crises: Theory and Empirical Evidence from East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 507-558 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Dekle & Kenneth M. Kletzer, 2001. "Domestic Bank Regulation and Financial Crises: Theory and Empirical Evidence from East Asia," NBER Working Papers 8322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keiichiro Kobayashi & Masaru Inaba, 2006. ""Irrational exuberance" in the Pigou cycle under collateral constraints," Discussion papers 06015, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2007. "Bubbles and self-fulfilling crises," Working Papers halshs-00590568, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.